KashouB's 60 Gallon Cube Build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Kashoub, Aug 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

A+++ For you my friend.

2. Click Here!

3. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

So the next question is....where should the input's be? I was thinking two in the middle on the back wall, in between the overflows. I'd like the way that'd look. Whatd ya think?

4. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

My friend you already have ten too many holes in this tank :eek: Go with the back wall return but only drill one hole 1/2-3/4 in. and you can put a Y output on the line inside the tank if you really want two outputs for more water movement. This is a very simple way and remember the anti-siphon b/c it is important.

1 person likes this.
  5. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Sweet! That answers my question! So i'll have a total of 5 holes. Two for the overflows to drain into the sump, two above the overflows for cleaning access, and one for the return. Sweet! And that'll be efficient you think?

6. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

It's got to be!!! And go Metal Halide, you wont regret it. I did compact fluorescent for my first year, and they were great for LPS corals, but i have been using MH for the last three yrs with LPS, SPS, clams, sponges and i could never go back. Once you know how many inches the return lines are for your overflows let us know so the brains around here can figure out your GPH and help you decide on an appropriate return pump to match.
    good luck

7. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Thank you so much! Karma to you!

How many inches should my return line be for a 60 gallon tank?

8. Click Here!

9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Should be however much is needed to go from the sump to the tank. The less distance and curves the better.

10. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Ok. What about diameter? half inch. inch?

11. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I use 3/4" on the output and 1 1/4" on the input. I run what I believe to be a rio 1600 (snagged it for free from the back of the shop I work at so don't know exactly what it is but seems to be a rio 1600) and the water travels vertically for 39" with one curve. I have this on a 29gallon small-aggressive fish tank. I don't need any extra pumps in the tank due to the massive amount of flow from the return.

In the 60 you will probably need a pump or two in the tank.

12. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Yeah. Well we will see. If i needed extra pumps what would they connect to? How would that work?