KashouB's 60 Gallon Cube Build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Kashoub, Aug 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

i really think you should slow down and stop the cutting/drilling/building until you have a plan laid out.

Why do you need to cut hole in to the top? Drill a hole on the bottom where the over flow will be. Attach a bulkhead there. Bulkhead and Strainer/Overflow Fittings Drill two smaller holes in the back and place two of these to them: Pacific Coast Flow Accelerator

Do you know anyone that know how to plumb a fish tank like this? It may be tricky if this is your first time and don't know what you need or how to do it.

2. Click Here!

3. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

What does the flow accelerator do? Is that where my pump will be hooked up to, pushing water back into the tank?

4. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

And the hole in the top will be cut so i can get into the overflow to clean it if i need to.

5. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Wait could i just use two hole accelerators as the input back into my tank from my sump?

6. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

Ok, something to think about. You are having 2 holes in the bottom of this tank for your return from the sump. This can be great b/c the return lines can be hidden by rock work, sand, etc. However, if your return pump goes out on you, all the water from your tank will come down your return lines and overflow your sump. BE SURE to install an anti-siphon valve so this does not happen, this will save your tank and sanity in the case of a pump failure.
    Curtis

7. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Those two holes are going to the sump. Not returning from it.

8. Click Here!

9. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

I can't figure out where to put those return holes. Any ideas?

10. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

Ok, now i am seeing the design i think. But you are going to have those holes extended up to just below the water level with a pipe correct?

11. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Yes sir! Finally somebody gets it. LoL.

I have two overflows, one in each corner of the tank. each overflow has a hole at the bottom. Holes will be extended with a pipe to just below the water level.

Now I have to plan the pump output. How should I do it?

12. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

Well definitely try to keep all the plumbing in one area of the tank for visual purposes. So you have already designated two of the corners of the tank for overflow, the back of the tank I assume? You have two hole above this for the purpose of cleaning when if ever necessary, ok. So your return should also be in the back of the tank so you have three sides of no holes making if visually pleasing and easily hidden by rock work. Please tell me i have this correct the Patron is getting to me ;)
    Curtis