KashouB's 60 Gallon Cube Build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Kashoub, Aug 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

So what about my design? Yeah?

2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Heck, id wait till tmrw am untill some of the plumbing pros can answer this question bro.

4. gfunk823

gfunk823 Coral Banded Shrimp

this looks likea fun project

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Then you will have pipes coming up from the bottom of the tank. Put bulkheads with caps in the holes to fill them then restart your project. Plan everything out carefully and build accessories first. Drill holes after everything has been glued in place so you can decide exactly where you need to put the holes.

6. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Will the idea i had work? Yes i will have piping coming up from the bottom of the tank. That isn't ok?

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

It will work but unless you can hide it with rock it wont look nice. You will also have to worry about rock falling against the tubing. The long piping you will need can be easily broken due to its length. Even if the tubing doesn't break the torque could crack the acyllic by the holes causing a catastrophic leak.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

I'm going to have a black piece of acrylic acting as the internal overflow. So you won't see the plumping :) Let me explain better....

Two holes in the bottom as well as on the back 5 inches below the water level. Both sets of holes on opposite sides. Holes in the bottom will be the return from the sump and have a nozzle going over the overflow and back into the tank. Holes in the back will be the flow to the sump.

I'll be getting water pulled from two sides of the tank as well as returned on two sides.

If you go back to the first pic you'll notice the top is mostly covered with a built in piece of acrylic. I'm going to drill two more holes over the overflows that way i can put a sponge on the end of a stick and rig a cleaning hose to clean out the overflow once in a while. Solid plan?

10. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

You should either draw and scan a photo or make one on your computer. seems like you want holes all over the place which will ruin the structural integrity of the tank. You want minimal holes. Every opening you make makes the tank more prone to cracks, leaks, and breaking.

11. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

two holes for output two holes for input. Not alot. The two at the top won't effect anything at all. Only reason i have to drill them is cause there's a permanent top on the tank. If i could remove i would and the tank would still hold up fine. But instead i'm going to cut out a portion of the top for the nozzle's to get back into the tank. The top of the tank contributes nothing to the the tank being structurally sound. It's just kind of an inconvenience i have to work around.

And yeah, i really need to figure out how to draw out my plan.

12. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

I cut the overflow pieces out today. Probably will start installation on them Thursday.