KashouB's 60 Gallon Cube Build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Kashoub, Aug 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

You just gave me a great idea. Ok so right now i have two holes on either side of the back on the bottom. What if....

Those two holes could be output from the sump into the tank. I could drill those two holes in the back five inches bellow the water line in the same two overflows for the output from the tank to the sump. That way it's pulling from both sides and pumping into both sides. How's that sound?

2. Click Here!

3. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

you could always just put threaded bulkheads on them, and screw plugs into them ... and start over lol.

Its my secret backup plan if I ever turn my reef tank into something else ... I can just screw plugs into the siliconed bulkheads ... and voila ... no hole. lol

4. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

But i think my new idea is efficient. Input?

5. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Actually i think my idea is alot more efficient than the previous! I drew it out and thought about it. It's just that the way the tank is designed i have to design my overflows differently. Here's what i'm going to do.

The top of the tank where the overflow will be is solid acrylic. So if i wanted to run the return pump from the sump back into the tank i would have to make the overflow lower, in order to make enough room to get a return line back to the tank. This sacrifices water level, making it lower than i want, but it's only going to be an inch or two, which is ok cause my hood will cover that up :) I'm going to have a draped hood.

6. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

idk if id trust that....:-/

7. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

lol....I don't need to do it. What' d you think of my new plan? Sound good?

8. Click Here!

9. oceanparadise1

Id love to add some input, BUT i SUCK at plumbing and would hate to steer you in the wrong way bro! Plumbing is my only weekness

10. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Well if my design is right, it'll work out great. Only thing is i'll have to do more plumping. And you think having my water level like 2.5 inches or so below the top is ok? Cause i have to have it that low in order to get the nozzle's over the overflow

11. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

Oh yeah ... it'll be good bud haha 8)

12. oceanparadise1

lol ill take ur word for it, just scares me with the posiblity of leaking and not being 100% water tight BUT if it worked for you :) ill trust ya word homie :):):p:eek:8);D:cheesy:;):)