KashouB's 60 Gallon Cube Build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Kashoub, Aug 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Hmmm...I'm wanting to spend around $!00 for a skimmer. Or is that to little?

2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

One thing i can say, dont skimp on the skimmer or lights, you will regret it in the end! but im going to bed bc my beatiful gf is headed to bed as well!!!! TTYL!!

4. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

LoL. Sounds good. Thnx for the info dude. I'll keep yall up to date on the build. :)

5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I would rather run the overflow through the side, and not through the bottom. Going through the side will allow you more "floor space" instead of using it for a standpipe. plus it will look better.

I would definitely go with a 150w halide DE over a t5 array on a tank this size. Plus, the opening in the top will work better witha DE Mh fixture better than any other lighting type, minus LED's perhaps. But for the $$, a nice 150w DE mh setup would be the ticket, if you want a full blown reef.

Now for a sump, a 20g long will work great, and add to the tanks water total.

Skimmers, well, there are ton that will work well. The octopus is a good skimmer for not a lot of $$, but the G1 is nice as well.

6. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

ok. ty. I'll mention it to the LFS and see what they say.

7. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

My LFS is telling me that we're gonna use Bioballs in my sump. Should i go with live rock instead? I've heard that Bio-balls can be a problem and with a tank this size i don't want to risk anything.

8. Click Here!

9. oceanparadise1

Some people like bio-balls, i dont, i would use live rock all day over it. I would never ever run bio balls in a saltwater tank, but thats me.

10. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

So in the ref in the sump put rock and sand and plantlife? Would that be a better idea? Instead of bioballs?

11. oceanparadise1

Yup, totally better idea!

12. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

And the bacteria would probably grow better since it has the benefits of the rock, sand, and plantlife. Should I put a little light down there or no? Would that help any?