KashouB's 60 Gallon Cube Build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Kashoub, Aug 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Ok....so i'm starting a build thread for my new 60 gallon cube. It's gonna take about 3 of 4 months to build, but i'll have pics every step of the way.

I'm gonna need some help building it, so any input is awesome!

Here's the tank....

[​IMG]

Now what i need are ideas. How big of a sump should i use. 10 gallon tank? 20 gallon? What size?

2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Are you going to drill it? What are the plans? looks like this could be a sickkkk build, def tagging along!

4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

it's going to be fun. A pvc overflow is pretty easy to make and you can always paint the overflow the same color as your background. I recommend krylon fusion royal blue, or black. Both colors are pretty sick

5. oceanparadise1

Also, what do you plan on using for lights for this tank?

6. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

What i'm going to do is pick a corner and drill the bottom for an overflow. I'm gonna find some black acrylic and cut the pieces and use silicon to build an overflow around the hole. So basically building my own overflow. The LFS is looking for a pre made overflow and then i'm gonna price it and see which way is cheaper.

I need to build a sump too. What size do u recommend?

7. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

Lights the LFS suggested T5's i think is what they're called. Correct me if i'm wrong.

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I wouldn't do t5 I don't think. I would do a mh pendant on this one. ok for your overflow you could drill a hole in the top corner of the tank, stick a bulkhead in it with a 90 degree up and viola!! there's your overflow and it's free. well, minus cost for the bulkhead and elbow with a little 1 inch pvc. very easy

10. oceanparadise1

Your right and t5s would work so would MH, either or :) also you could do a 20 long long, or a 30 breeder would be fine either way, really it depends on the footprint of the skimmer.

11. Kashoub

Kashoub Feather Duster

What's the difference between T5's and the other kind?

As far as the overflow goes, i don't want anything showing, hence i'm gonna build the overflow in the tank so it just drops down to the hole drilled in the bottom.

As far as the sump, i think i could get away with a 20 long.

12. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I can appreciate the overflow idea. I think a 20 long would be fine. ur not going to need to big of a skimmer on this one so you should be good.