kalkwasser with vinegar????

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by cosmo, Aug 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

I posted a thread about this a few weeks ago, Vinegar dosing WITH kalkwasser is actually a really good idea

Let me see if I can find the thread with the dosing regimine and dosing amounts

Here is my thread as well as a link to an article about vinegar dosing with kalkwasser
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/water-chemistry/quick-about-vinegar-dosing-137304.html

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

lol Alex, an analogy I can relate too;)

Thx for the help, maybe I'll use this pico for stirring the water and get a 200gph one.

Plus eliminating the vinegar eliminates a step, which I am all for.

Is using a ATO for kalk that big of a danger? I haven't read many problems from it?

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Its not until it is. A couple months ago I bought a bunch of kalk to do this but there are alot of factors. One, your Ca and Alk supplementation is dependent on evaporation. Usually you have more evaporation durring a certain point of the year. Its winter for me since it gets alot more dry in my house. This is not great for stability. One I program my doing pumps its pretty much set and forget for 2 part. I have to make sure as my colonies and clams grow to keep adjusting the amount of doing... but if I had to account for that AND seasonal variations my tank would go haywire again.

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

That makes sense. Yeah my evap is easily double in winter, but the AC here keeps my air dryer, but then again, you live in montana where the air is always dry(compared to here anyways)

HMMM

6. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

Here is the correct dosing chart for VINEGAR, you have to be careful because alot of the dosing charts are actually for VODKA

Typical conversion is double the recommended vodka dose, So .4ML of vodka would be .8ML of vinegar

[​IMG]

7. dimpthepimp

dimpthepimp Bristle Worm

I'm with cosmo. im also looking to dose with kalkwasser and a little vinegar. i currently don't have a sump and was wanting to drip it out into the tank slowly.

8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

What most articles don't tell you though is that the phosphates and heavy metals, that usually precipitate out when you mix kalk, do not when it is combined with vinegar.

10. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

Yes but dosing with vinegar or any other carbon source however lowers your Po4 and No3 levels to pretty much undetectable levels so while the kalkwasser itself may no longer precipitate Po4 out of the water the carbon source does, and it does a better jobs

Not to mention the added benefit of your corals coloring up much better than most people would ever expect

11. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

The carbon source doesn't remove them... The increased bacteria remove them via skimming.
    Carbon dosing is an atom bomb just waiting to go off. there are much more natural ways to increase coral color

1 person likes this.
  12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Good info! Definitely some food for thought!