Kalkwasser dosing help

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Kevin_E, Jun 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pete polyp

Pete polyp Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

From my understanding the alkalinity in kalk is dosed by hydroxide. When the hydroxide reacts with dissolved co2 it creates carbonate and bicarbonate. When the hydroxide no longer has co2 to react with it will precipitate. You may be adding too fast for the co2 in the chamber you are dosing into to replenish. I drip fully saturated kalk at all times and while it completely replenishes my CA I still have to supplement the alk.

Billme likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

It flaked out pretty easily in the tub. I just want to make certain it's effective for me and it's not all precipitating gout.

I cut 1" off my line. We'll see.

I may end up getting two dosing pumps if this doesn't work for me.

Interesting. When he says mix 15 ml of vinegar with 1/2 tablespoon of Kalkwasser and dilute to one liter, does he mean do that for each quart you would use? For example, if I am using 20 quarts (5 gallons), do I need 10 tablespoons of kalkwasser and 300 ml of vinegar?

That seems like it wouls be way, way too much.

I may end up just going with two dosing pumps with separate dosing fluids.

I believe you are correct. I am going to attempt mixing my Kalk with an acid.

4. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Its also a good idea to cover your ATO tank. the less air that it is exposed to the better.