kalk or 2 part?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by NittyGritty, Mar 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

In theory, you'll get 800ppm ca and 112dkh per gallon from saturated limewater. In my system, I have about 140g system water and am using about 1.5g per day of saturated lime-water. So that would be 8.6ppm ca per day and 1.2 dkh per day. I'm sure I use a lot, but fairly sure I am not using this much. The reason for the discrepancy is likely that even though I am dosing as carefully as possible, there is still some wasted due to precipitation of calcium carbonate. So, you can start with these numbers, but you may need to adjust by testing, which you should do daily at first.

2. Click Here!

3. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Awesome. Thank you ;D

So, I just got back from walmart looking for the ms. wages pickling lime and they did not have it. Seasonal item and apparently it's not the season to pickle things, LOL. Know any other main retailers that sell pickling lime?

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I usually just order online:
    Mrs. Wages® Pickling Lime 16 oz. (454g)

Also, check out bulk reef supply they are very competitively priced for kalk. My last batch I ordered from them since I needed some other stuff as well..

Also, I realized, once I add in the 2-part, I'm adding 1.5dkh per day. kind of scary, I'd hate to see what some of these systems with SPS packed to the brim are using :eek: I guess it's probably best not to think about those things and just add what you need to keep up, without doing the math :lol:

5. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Niiice. Well, thanks for all the help everyone.

6. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Unfortunately, I don't have the patience it takes more shipping. HAHA.

7. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

So, before work I headed to one of my LFS and scored the 2.5 lbs of BRS Kalk and the needed items to complete my DIY Kalk dripper. AAAAAAAAnnnnnddddddd, here it is! Works great! Thanks everyone for your feedback! I hope I get all the great benefits as I hear some of you did ;D

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

Nice! I use the same set up and it works well. Just be sure to drip in a spot with allot of flow.

10. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Hm... As for the Brightwells... Kalk + 2, I have been using it for the last month in my topoffs. Its been maintaining my Levels pretty decently! Considering Its helped raise my ph up to 8.2, which I could never get it at in my almost 2 years of Marine Aquariums. Ive tried buffers and such but they are all crap.

As for the magnesium additive, I barely Had any coralline algae up to using the Kalk + 2, Now its starting to spread mad. I've been very pleased with it. But like stated above, everyones tanks are different and react different to chemicals.

11. Dr. Reefenstein

Dr. Reefenstein Fire Shrimp

I use both.. Kalk mixed top-off and I dose 2 part. That's still not enough. I also have to dose Mg. and liquid Ca.

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

haha... it gets to a point where even very large Ca reactors plus an almost constant supply from a kalk reactor cant even keep up... then your levels just sit stable, but lower than usual, as the Ca and alk are being taken up as fast as they are put into the water lol