kalk dosing options

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by arentspowell, Feb 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Cool, sounds like it may be a good way to go for people who don't want to deal with clogging. I'm still curious about the potency though, as my mixer output line still clogs. I think saturated lime will do this regardless... but if your keeping up with demand this isn't such an issue. Should re-state though, with any mixer, you probably want to use lab grade lime though. Randy did some analysis of food grade here. There are a lot of impurities, but they precipitate if allowed to settle. I don't think they will settle in the mixer.
    This covers more than anyone wants to know:
    What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Larz_1

Larz_1 Bristle Worm

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

thanks :) sounds almost to easy to be true. lol ... headed to aquacave now to check out prices, i would need the pump too. guess i wont be getting the coach handbag this week. lol

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

i thought about this and posted response in other thread. I sort of agree on the too easy to be true part. I think the main reason is if you are using a slow pump and the output line isn't clogging, then your probably not dosing saturated lime. This may or may not matter depending on demand. Also, there is the precipitation issues and inability to supersaturate with vinegar. However, to me, defiantly sounds like the best alternative to a bucket, so far, and I think for some people, it may be a great way to go.

6. Larz_1

Larz_1 Bristle Worm

I have a Tunze ATO and the pump is rated at 13gph (I think).
    But, yes, a low flow pump is key ... too much flow would probably send particulates into your sump.
    With the low flow pump it doesn't shoot the kalk powder high enough in the reactor chamber to be a problem.

7. Larz_1

Larz_1 Bristle Worm

Clogging is not an issue because the output is 1/2" (not 1/4" like standard airline).
    There are some deposits that build up at the end of the tube, but not nearly enough to clog it.

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Yeah, I realized that. That 1/2 tube is an great idea. I like that, not sure why other companies didn't think of this :)

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

hey Larz i guess others like the Kalkwasser Stirrer 1000
    by AquaMedic also. i tryed to order it yesterday and its out of stock at the 2 main places i order from. i'll buy from the place who gets it in stock first. :)

11. arentspowell

arentspowell Skunk Shrimp

Well I ended up just setting up a very simple kalk set up. I just used the aqualifter and have it for top off and have it set to a timer. It goes on for 3 minutes 6 times a day. Ill try this set up for a bit and see how it works. Everything is stable so far. I might set it up with the RKL down the road and have it top off that way but this is fine for now. Im going to start with only 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. I'm using the Brightwell Kalk+2 to keep the mag up.

12. Larz_1

Larz_1 Bristle Worm

Aquacave has them - that's where I got mine.

$228.95 (free shipping)
    And if you use the code 3REEF5 at checkout it's only $217.50 (free shipping)