Juston's 100 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by justonwo, Sep 4, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

More big lessons learned this week. I thought that stuff in the bottom of my sump was algae. Turns out it's detritus. No wonder my nitrate and phosphate readings are still high. I haven't been changing the sock nearly often enough.

It's been a week so I moved my new acros into place in the tank. I'm taking a "more is more" approach.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Most of the acros seem to be doing pretty well. The blue lokani is really starting to "blue up" throughout. The surf and turf seems to be having some trouble as there is bleaching in the tips. The Hawkins is still totally brown - not even a hint of green anywhere. And I still can't figure out what that white stuff is that's eating at my purple lokani. All other frags are slowly gaining color.

I'm pleased that I've been able to get my nitrate levels down from 30+ ppm in the last several weeks to between 8-12. The combination of keeping my sump and filtration system clean and carbon dosing seem to be working. I've also gotten the phosphate levels from 0.64 ppm to 0.16 ppm, so they are also headed in the right direction.

SG = 1.026
    pH = 8.2
    Ca2+ = 475 ppm
    Mg2+ = 1540 ppm (not sure how to lower this other than to change salts)
    Alkalinity right around 10.0.

Steady as she goes.

4. insanereefer420

insanereefer420 Fire Worm

Looking good. Cant wait for my BTA to grow out like yours.

5. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

It's been a while since I've updated. I've now switched over to RODI water, and carbon dosing has gotten my nitrate and phosphate levels down quite low. I've lost a few acropora frags in the process, and my lokani seems to have some kind of infection around the base. Many of the frags are really coloring up and doing well, however.

My anemone split last month and again this month, so now I have 5 bubble tips. And it appears my Cardinalfish gave birth because there's a little tiny cardinal fish running around there. Also, I bit the bullet and moved the acans down lower in the tank. I had to cut them off my live rock, which was a process, but it'll be better in the end.

I know many of these photos are redundant, but many of my acropora frags seem to be doing quite well.

Tort has really turned a deep blue/purple, with some nice green polyps starting to show at the bottom.
    Tort.

[​IMG]

Blue tenuis. Some good polyp extension on this one and a nice, deep blue color.

[​IMG]

I had to frag my beloved purple lokani because the base of the main colony is turning green and dying. I wish I knew what was causing that! The frag was put in place two days ago, so it'll take a while to color back up to deep purple. Hopefully, the main colony will survive as well.

[​IMG]

Candlelight acro.

[​IMG]

Hawkins is starting to "green up." It was delivered totally brown.

[​IMG]

The blue lokani was mostly brown when I received it. It's color is quite striking.

[​IMG]

Efflo

[​IMG]

Lastly, a "starry night" that seems to be doing quite well. More than any other corals, it seems to be encrusting and growing. Polyp extension is great and the green really pops.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  6. insanereefer420

insanereefer420 Fire Worm

7. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Oh, and it appears that some frogspawn that was put in the tank years ago (and died off) is now coming back. I discovered several polyps growing a few months back, but they were tiny and hard to identify. It's pretty clear to identify now.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

looking good! congrats on all of the positive changes going on in the tank!

10. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Ah man, that gorgeous tort frag started to STN a few days ago out of nowhere. And this NOPOx regime of daily coral food has started explosive growth of vermetid snails. A few of my shrimp have gone missing. Feeling a little bummed out and overwhelmed. I've been using the Red Sea program but feel maybe this isn't for me. I've asked for another approach.

11. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

How're the lokanis doing?

12. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Agreed! Only because I know and love Acans. Acro is gorgeous but I've never had any.