Juston's 100 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by justonwo, Sep 4, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

I ordered a couple new acros for my tank . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chum likes this.
  4. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Actually, if anyone can help provide some guidance on these specific corals about where in the tank they would like to be, that would be helpful. I know most of them will like moderate to high lighting and moderate to high flow, but I've seen a few acropora that are recommended near the bottom of the tank. I have spaces at all levels of the tank, so I want to try placing these corals in their happy spots.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

This is what I do. Take a place of egg crate, place it or glue it to 4 pieces of wider diameter pvc, now you have a frag rack.

Corals arrive, you dip them and inspect them, do not dip the smooth skins like Hawkins in Bayer. You can use a very mild Lugols solution mixed with display water. Place all sps in your frag rack on the bottom of the tank in an area of mod flow. Let them acclimate for 5 days to week, think about placement.

Corals coming from an LED systems need less lighting acclimation. Corals coming from a T5 or metal halide going to an LED should have more acclimation just to be on the safe side.

What vendor did you get them from?

Congrats...;)

6. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

I got them from Aqua SD. The only dip I have is Coral Rx. You are saying the smooth skins can't go in Coral Rx either? Which of the acros are considered "smooth skin?" I also have a blue lokani coming (not pictured).

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

beautiful pieces you got there juston!

8. Click Here!

9. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Any army of acros arrived today, along with a few freebies. Now to find out which ones will survive . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Many of the corals I received are browned out. I assume this is a result of stress. Do I need to do anything to help them acclimate other than move them up in the tank very slowly? Should I be feeding them or just let them be?

11. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

I finally bit the bullet and purchased an RO/DI system today - Spectrapure 90 GPD. I figure if I'm making all this time investment, I don't want to doom myself to failure from the start.

Corailline likes this.
  12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would just leave them be and let them acclimate for at least a week. Stress and elevated phosphates level can will brown out acropora.

Wise choice, one of the best investments.