Just started need advice on my equipment and what I've done so far.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jakeywax31, Feb 24, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jakeywax31

jakeywax31 Plankton

I have heard that you should use 2 undersized heaters if you use two. Do you think that 250w combined is too much for a 30 gal nano?

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

4. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

Yes that is to much. The point of 2 small heaters is if one gets stuck it will have a harder time over heating the tank. Looking at eheim jagers chart you would want 2 50s or 75s.

DSC reef likes this.
  5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I have used Via Aqua Titanium heaters for about 12 years now and swear by them.
    The RO/DI versus purchased distilled water is a tough one with a small to medium sized reef but ultimately you will want total control over your water quality and the RO/DI will win out. For most I suggest this as the very first purchase when starting out since water is the single largest ingredient in a reef system and everything depends on its quality and its stability. When you own and maintain it you get the same consistent, quality water every time and do not have to question its quality. For $140 it is the best purchase you can make for your reef and your peace of mind.

mdbostwick likes this.
  6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

To answer your live rock question, I would add rock until you like the layout. Don't feel forced to add a certain amount of rock. The goal of the tank is to be asthetically pleasing so make it look the way you want it to look. I've found it's more the dimensions of the tank and shape that dictate how much rock to use. The most important thing is to provide the fish ample hiding places and swim throughs. I truly believe that many people have issues with certain fish such as dwarf angels and wrasses because they do not provide sufficient rock to allow them to act more naturally and hide when needed. This caused undue stress which negatively affects a fish's health. So in your case, if you have large pieces of rock, I would definitely break some apart to get smaller pieces which will allow you to better build a scape that is pleasing and practical.

As for the distilled water, chemically, it's about equivalent to RO/DI water, even the best RO membranes don't filter out 100% of all organics, salts and compounds. I wouldn't have a problem using it long term, although I have not. The only practical reason not to is that in the long run, you will spend much more than just buying a unit. I've use the Mighty Mite from Air Water Ice. It's portable and small, has 4 stages and is perfect for smaller tanks. It's only about $110 too.

7. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Agree with all the above. In my experience, equipment always seems to break down on a Sunday or the middle of the night when LFS are closed. Example: I live in Fl. my heater barely is needed and when we just got our last cold snap low and behold my heater broke and my tank dropped almost into the 60's overnight. I lost a Powder Blue tang and luckily that was the extent of it. Also patience like stated. Don't buy something just to get you by until you can afford the proper item. I have a garage FULL of crap I bought when I first started out. Godspeed!

mdbostwick likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

The folks who suggest getting your own RODI have a very valid point. That said, I used delivery water for a while on a smaller tank and the convenience was totally worth it. Works just fine.

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

If you can get distilled water delivered.

11. jakeywax31

jakeywax31 Plankton

Thanks everybody for your responses...a few updates to note...I've decided to put the heater on a Johnson temp controller ( similar to the ranco). It is working amazing. I could have put it on the rkl but I feel that temperature is so fragile and I would rather trust temperature to an industry proven and reliable piece of equipment. I ve used one for years making beer.

On the note of the distilled water. It has worked great getting it delivered...it is very convenient. Me and the wife are planning on buying a house next year, and plan on buying an ro/di unit when we have room for a bigger tank and I get my dedicated space for everything. With a nano size tank. Going distilled is just easier And I will always have 15 gallons of water ready to go.

Again This forum is so awsome. I've learned so much from everyone. I know this hobby is about ups and downs. And I feel that I'm alot more prepared due to this forum.