Just set up a Red Sea Max 4 days ago...

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by gythwulf, Jul 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

chillers cost too much, go for the 4 oz or 6 oz bottles then....... all I know is it has worked for me every summer since I started my 55 (in I think it was dec 2001....) just let it float around.

oh and I meant one at a time, not both together.

2. Click Here!

3. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

Yeah, I caught what you meant, but I have to admit, I like thinks being regulated automatically where applicable. My dad knows all sorts of people, and on occasion brings free stuff home (one time a mini fridge). I'm going to ask him if he knows anyone who has a mini fridge they don't want anymore (and modify it - and if it functions as a freezer, possibly store frozen food in it as well, for dual purpose). Also, my neighbor used to have a salt water tank - I'm going to see if maybe they still have some of their stuff, particularly a chiller, and go from there. The water bottle idea is definitely a quick fix for the time being, while I figure it out. I assume you leave the bottles open for top-off purposes as well? In that case, I also assume you freeze RO water.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  4. cuttingras

no you leave the bottles closed and let it float till it melts in the bottle then rinse it off with tap water and put it back in the freezer.......I'd never use bottled water for top-off's

try it, you'll be surprised at the results and how easy it is to do......

you might wanna change the s@#t word to stuff........

5. gythwulf

gythwulf Feather Duster

Ope, sorry - it's a habit.

When I read "hood open" I read it as "bottle open" for some reason.

6. cuttingras

lol it's cool...I've thrown a few out before too......

really give it a try before you go and spend a bunch of money on chillers or fridges, never know till ya try and it ain't gonna hurt.

7. kimmy

kimmy Feather Duster

just proping your lid open with something as small as a tylenol bottle (empty of course) with a fan blowing on it makes all the difference. That is the reason I took my hood off of my Aqua Pod, too hot. I bought the MH light that sits on tops and some clamp on fans that blew under the light. If cats are a problem, make a screen or use some of that plastic egg crate stuff so no fish go carpet surfing. As for dust, unless you are using a table saw next to your tank, your skimmer should pick up any dust.

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

:yelrotflm

10. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

:LolLolLol:laughcry:

11. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

there is some DIY chiller ideas out there too, I know someone here made one out of an old dorm room fridge, costed like under a hundred bucks for the entire material bill if i remember right

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It's not really the price of the chiller that adds alot of extra expense, it's the cost of running it. Just something to keep in mind :)