Just picked up 7 new sps frags!!

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by gabbagabbawill, Oct 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Love the purple hydno! I have a big branching green colony thats pretty cool. The tyree flower petal didn't like to high of flow in my tank, and its really pretty if you get good PE. If you ever want to trade the hydno let me know ;-)

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

very cool, how long do you think it will take for you to move them into your main display?

1 person likes this.
  4. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

They are on a frag rack in the main display... I actually glued the hydno into a spot on the rockwork earlier tonight... mainly to secure it because of its sting, and my urchin is notorious for taking frags on a ride with him...

When I have places figured out for the others, I'll secure them to rock... I know where 3 of them are gonna go, so they will be the next to get glued down... the others, I will wait and see what I decide to do with...

1 person likes this.
  5. ingtar_shinowa

hydns just get a bad rap mine hasnt stung anything including me

6. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

Very cool additions gabbagabbawill. Congrats!

1 person likes this.
  7. gabbagabbawill

The girl at the LFS who was bagging up my corals told me that she touched one by accident and her hand was very swollen the next day. I suppose, as with anything, some people may be more sensitive than others. Still, I plan on avoiding it as much as possible.

Just an update, after gluing it in place last night, it is getting excellent polyp extension today and even managed to eat some mysis. I'm really digging this coral!

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

dang, no chance of you getting sick of it and sending it to me! Although you should know im theme-ing my tank to be purple on the right green on the left.... and i have a green hydno already ;-)

1 person likes this.
  10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I actully move (pick it up) my frag of hydnophora around all the time to kill aiptasia and never had a problem. But my female clownfish loves to grab it and throw it to the sand bed and it is a big frag. Can not figure that one out.
    They love to eat that is for sure.

1 person likes this.
  11. gabbagabbawill

Sounds like a Great way to make practical use of the coral! ;D

12. gabbagabbawill

So, last night I had to pull the hydno out of the tank for a minute... I found a very small (~1mm) polyclad flatworm on the tissue of the frag... I wasn't sure at first, until I touched it with a chopstick and it crawled across the coral... I pulled it off with some tweezers and rinsed the coral over a bucket with some salt water from the tank. I didn't see any more of them, and I don't know if it was predating on the coral or not... there is some tissue missing from the base of the skeleton, but I don't know if this is just die-off from it being fragged or b/c the flatworm was eating it... regardless, I don't want to take any chances with polyclads.