Just noticed my tang. Ich?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Kadoogen, Sep 13, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kadoogen

Kadoogen Flamingo Tongue

Do you think an ammonia spike could have killed that fast with daily 25% water changes (20G tank)? but no I was not monitoring for ammonia as I did not have any test kits for ammonia, have not had to monitor that in a very long time. Everyone presented the same way started as little white superficial salt spots that eventually turned into hundreds of deep white spots. I added two reef chromi about 2 weeks prior to the outbreak along with Xenia frag, Utter chaos zoa frag and a button polyp colony (100 polyps or so). Frags were dipped and the chromi were added after acclimation ( no quarantine) Also about 1 week prior to the outbreak I had what I think was a bacterial bloom that when i did a 25% water change and added a UV cleared up but def had a water quality issues for about a week. I guess it was just a perfect storm of disease, water quality, and stress caused the collapse =(

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

That's definitely a perfect storm if you will. Most of the time if the fish is healthy enough it will deal with the ich on its own. My regal tang will show white spots every other month then go away. I know if I removed her and tried to treat she'd probably succumb to the parasite. In your situation I believe stress fueled the fire. We live and learn, don't beat yourself up.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

oh no, I am so sorry for your losses. I'm sure it's even more difficult given the age of your fish :( as others have said, you did everything you could......