Just noticed my tang. Ich?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Kadoogen, Sep 13, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kadoogen

Kadoogen Flamingo Tongue

This was my gut thought as well. I think I might just dump them all back in the DT and just feed garlic and Selcon and hope for the best

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I have to wonder if anyone had an idea for fish traps. This seems to be a common problem. I think the only sure(ish) way would be to treat all of the fish. You may have a chance at a low level infestation in a sparsely inhabited tank.
    Here's a decent description of crypto:
    http://www.chucksaddiction.com/ich.html
    He only describes hypo salinity treatment but if I was treating, I think I'd probably use copper just to be sure.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

It helps to have an understanding of Ich's life cycle before you try to "cure" it. Even if you treat all your fish in a separate tank, the parasitic cysts will still be in your water, and on your rocks/ substrate. I would just take the fish out and run it for 1-2 months at lowered salinity and elevated temps if you can.

5. Kadoogen

Kadoogen Flamingo Tongue

copper is probably the best as my tank has a nice bubble tip and several hundred dollars of corals. I was able to grab one more fish out last night as it was sleeping. The coral beauty is the last remaining if I can get him out today I will treat them all in one 2g long hospital tank and let the DT go fallow for 2 months. Thanks all!

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Sometimes removing fish and putting them in small tanks will stress them out even more when stress could've been the factor of ich taking hold. My blue regal has been in my life for 3 years now and every other month it seems like she gets ich then it goes away. When I first noticed ich in previous years on other fish I would freak. Different tank btw. I never had success with treating and it seemed like whenever I would catch a fish and treat in another tank it would be gone in a week. This is highly debatable, just giving you my experience. Who knows, might not have been ich. My point is it seems that in my current tanks ich comes and goes and I haven't lost a fish to ich since I just feed a varied diet. If I notice a spot on a fish I supplement the diet with garlic and I'm a believer in selcon. I don't like looking at the White spots but I like my fish living better.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Well, that's experience speaking. Can't argue with that. However, if you are going to qt them, 2 gallons seems a bit cramped. It seems like the water quality alone would be difficult to keep up with. I'd suggest at least a 20 gallon.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm thinking the 2gallon was a typo and he meant 20 :)

11. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

+1^. I thought about it after, and must be a typo.

12. Kadoogen

Kadoogen Flamingo Tongue

Well so far the death toll is 1 yellow tang, 1 blue reef chromi and 1 coral beauty. I am rather upset about the coral beauty as he was starting to get a little better but the remaining tank mates started to pick on him badly as they probably knew it was sick. He was at least 5-6 years old, not too bad for a dwarf angel I constantly hear how hard they are to keep.