Just noticed my tang. Ich?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Kadoogen, Sep 13, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kadoogen

Kadoogen Flamingo Tongue

Is this looking like Ich to you guys? Recently the tank got cloudy for no particular reason and my new anemone got mad and is shrived up so I think im having water quality issues. I was doing so well.....
    upload_2014-9-13_16-20-33.png

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes it looks like Cryptocaryon, currently it does not look too bad. I would just correct the stressor (water issues) feed, and feed marine algaes, mixed frozen and Selcon. You can do garlic if it makes you feel better but there is no proof that garlic actually enhances the immune system, it may improve appetite but that is up for debate as well.

4. Kadoogen

Kadoogen Flamingo Tongue

I am going to pick up a UV unit from my LFS tomorrow in hopes that will clear up my water issues as I cannot pinpoint where it is coming from. My params are perfect so its my last shot. any suggestions?

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

How long have you had the fish? Any new additions to the tank?

6. Kadoogen

Kadoogen Flamingo Tongue

I have had her 4 years now and never had any signs of it until the recent water issues. I did recently add two reef chromi. One of them got his tail ripped off and subsequently died and the other has no signs of infection

7. mdbostwick

What are the water issues you have had? Did you QT the chromis? He could have carried it into the tank and the Tang is just more susceptible to it.

8. Click Here!

9. Kadoogen

Kadoogen Flamingo Tongue

So now everyone has it. My yellow tang, two clowns and regal tang are all in a QT. I cannot get out the remaining chromi and my prized 6 y/o coral beauty. the CB is looking a little stressed as she is not swimming as much as she usually does. She is the most healthy of all the fish but currently has the most spots.

Question: can I copper treat everyone in the QT for 14 days and then put them back or should I try and get everyone out and treat together?

10. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Sorry to hear it. I'm not sure what you are asking about the copper treatment. It would be best to treat all the fish and leave the tank fallow for at least a month. Twice that is better. Crypto will likely not survive that long without fish hoasts.

11. Kadoogen

Kadoogen Flamingo Tongue

Im asking can I treat half of my fish and not the other. I have two fish I cannot get out of my DT to get them in the QT for treatment. Im wondering if treating some of them will be effective or will they become re infected from the non treated fish?

12. mdbostwick

more than likely the non treated fish will reinfect the treated