Just Got a New Peppermint Shrimp . . . or 4

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by justonwo, Aug 24, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Damn, one of my very healthy acans is now missing a chunk. How to I capture these peppermint shrimp so I can sequester them?

2. Click Here!

3. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

I just wanted to vindicate my 4 peppermint shrimp. I watched my sailfin tang take a big chunk out of one of my acans about a month ago, and ended up making the decision to remove him. Since removing that tang, my acans have been growing without hindrance or damage. My assumption about the guilt of my peppermint shrimp was unfounded, so I'm apologizing to them publicly.

4. RavenSF

RavenSF Astrea Snail

I love mine. He destroyed the few aiptasia I had in a couple of days. Since then it's never done any damage. My skunk cleaner shrimp HATES the peppermint though. I feed them each a little extra chunk of food once a week or so. I think people blame them for picking on corals undeservedly. Just give the shrimp some extra food, once the aiptasia is gone it shouldn't come back.

5. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

yeah, never have had a problem so far with my pepps and I've had them for a while. i got a group of 4 and they keep my tank apta free. I do feed the pepps now that the apta's are all gone...

6. insanereefer420

insanereefer420 Fire Worm

i have 1 peppermint shrimp. He eats aptasia like a mad man. I had a few in my tank i noticed about a week after i set everything up. The shrimp ate them all hasnt touched any coral. Never see the guy though.

7. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

Peppermints are hit and miss for many.
    Some report that they tend to go after brain corals while others have been successful housing them.

I watched mine pick at the brains flesh and it destroyed 1 brain and the other has never gotten better. Both were doing great before they picked at the flesh.

I love shrimp but I'd stick with skunk cleaners.

I personally tricked the shrimp. I used two nets, 1 very large one and a smaller one. I put food(mysis) in the tank and coaxed them into the net. It took about an hr.
    Shrimp when spooked jump backwards so have a net ready behind them

8. Click Here!

9. insanereefer420

insanereefer420 Fire Worm

well if mine takes a turn for the worse all i have to do is wait a few days and he will take the trip to the sump via the PVC over flow. had to pull it out of the filter sock almost every 3-4 days.