Just got a korallin biodenitrator, will track results here

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by robwerden, Aug 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. robwerden

robwerden Feather Duster

Today's results were a shock. They speak for them selves. Here is Medium and Low range from the drip for both No3 and No2.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

My eyes are not great Rob

but those look like zeros to me?
    and if there is pink on the low range ( hard to tell) you get to divide them by 10 on salifert so 2 equals 0.2

what do you think the results are please ( help the aged )

Steve

4. reef_enthusiast

reef_enthusiast Astrea Snail

Looking good. It's pretty much cycled. I know at this point, it's very tempting to increase the output of the reactor but as the instructions say, do so slowly. And measure nitrates 24 hours afterwards and if it's still 0, go ahead and increase again. Everytime you increase the output, the bacteria in the reactor has to catch up and be capable of keeping up with the output. You are probably still at a very slow rate and noticing the air building up faster. Just keep up with venting it and eventually you'll reach an equilibrium where your output is fast enough and the air won't build up as much.

5. robwerden

robwerden Feather Duster

Ya I jumped the gun and opened it up to 2 drips per second and this morning the test showed an increase of No2 and No3. So I turned it back down to 1 drip every 2 seconds. Ill re test tomorrow to see if I am good again.

6. reef_enthusiast

reef_enthusiast Astrea Snail

Been there, done that ;D

You may find yourself speeding up and slowing down constantly. What I did do at some points was to speed it up and let the nitrites and nitrates come down on its own instead of going back and forth. Then, would just continue speeding it up as the nitrites and nitrates would hit 0. Especially with the stock valve. It was kinda hard to fine tune the output with the valve that came with the reactor.

7. robwerden

robwerden Feather Duster

Todays results
    Drip
    No2 - 0
    No3 - 0

Dripping at 1 drip every 2 seconds.
    I am now going to increase drip to 1 drip per second and check the results again in 2 days

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. robwerden

robwerden Feather Duster

So, 5 months of constant use.
    The flow valve is at a constant stream now, barely a drip at all visible. No more air being trapped in the denitrator. The device does not even get monitored for levels any more.

Currently the tank is registering at near zero nitrates.
    Unless something changes, this will be my last update.
    Looks like it is working exactly as I had hoped. The only thing that I had really been hoping to see was a reduction in red algae on the sand. That still remains, but all my corals are much larger and looking much healthier. My bubble tip anemone had stopped producing the signature bubble tips a few years ago, and now they are back. So I think it is a reflection of the increased water quality.
    I have not done a water change in 3 months either.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Having never heard of this before, I looked it up and found this one post I thoujght kinda of summed it up.

'Okay...I just looked up this Korallin denitrator...for that kind of money...Get the Aquaripure filter. It NEVER needs media change or cleaning. The good bacteria that feeds on nitrates are in the filter and you feed the filter once a week a perscribed amount of vodka (small 4ml and the Lg 8ml in a syringe they provide)

A hose goes from the filter to the tank, and another hose goes from a small pump (they provide) to the filter. All you do is make sure the hose drips and feed it once a week. Thats it.

The Korillin needs media, which costs more money and it has to be cleaned, which is a pain in the butt.'

So, it's a vodka doser? The other one that is

My PS, LR, and chaeto are working just fine for me