Just got a korallin biodenitrator, will track results here

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by robwerden, Aug 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. robwerden

robwerden Feather Duster

So does this look correct then? If it is correct then I just spent 2 hours trying different combinations for nothing because this is exactly how I had it set up for the first 2 days. I thought I had it wrong because I imagined the water flow had to go in from the tank to the long pipe so that the water would flow up through the media. The way it is set up now the water is flowing the opposite way.
    [VMEO]48163235[/VMEO]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. azjohnny

azjohnny Bristle Worm

The unit uses calcium reactor media in addition to the sulphur to help with the Ph and Alk levels

4. azjohnny

azjohnny Bristle Worm

I have been thinking of a sulphur denitrator or a recirculating biopellet reactor to help with nitrates with my FOWLR

5. reef_enthusiast

reef_enthusiast Astrea Snail

robwerden, I can't see the video. It may be my firewall here at work blocking it. I'll recheck it when I get home later on tonight. I'll also see if I can dig up the setup manual that came with my unit.

6. reef_enthusiast

azjohnny, the amount of calcium reactor media couldn't keep up with the amount my pH and alkalinity was getting lowered by the sulphur denitrator.

sulphur denitrators work very well on nitrates. However, the beginning can be frustrating getting it setup. Also, like I mentioned, it needs to be cleaned eventually around the 6 month mark. When you do this, it needs to be restarted but if you rinse the media with aquarium water the startup after a cleaning is much shorter then when first starting it up.

For biopellets, I'm still not sure. I'm only 1 week into running it. Reason I made the switch to biopellets was having to clean up the sulphur denitrator every 4-6 months. Plus, as great as the sulphur denitrator was at lowering nitrates, it didn't help at all with my phosphates. I know the common complaints with biopellets is cyano and corals getting affected. Since this is on my 300 FOWLR, I don't have to worry about corals dying. As for cyano, I don't see any YET and hopefully it stays that way.

7. robwerden

robwerden Feather Duster

OK thanks.
    Ill describe how I have it so maybe that will help with out the video.
    Water from main tank goes to the short pipe inside the reactor
    The short pipe from the reactor is connected to the suction end of the pump
    The long pipe that is through the media is connected to the output end of the pump
    The drip tube is connected to the long pipe
    Does that sound right?

8. Click Here!

9. reef_enthusiast

Yes that sounds exactly right.

Like I mentioned early in this thread, make sure you use the valve to gas out the air pocket. Since you just started this and at a couple drops per second, you will notice that you'll have to do this everyday. As you speed up the flow through the reactor, the build up of air will slow down. Because the intake is on top, if the air pocket reaches the hole of the intake, it will stop recirculating the water in the reactor. You'll also know this because you can hear the pump.

10. robwerden

robwerden Feather Duster

Thank you so much. I felt like I was losing my mind this morning, second guessing the setup I already had correct to begin with.

11. reef_enthusiast

No problem at all. I think most aquarists are guilty of second guessing themselves when setting up new "toys" for our tanks ;D

I couldn't find the instructions for the Korallin. However, I was able to watch your video at home and you have it setup correctly.

1 person likes this.
  12. robwerden

robwerden Feather Duster

Todays test results with the API test kit (DAY 4 of operation)
    Left to right
    PH from tank/Nitrate from denitrator drip/Nitrate from tank/Nitrite from Drip/ Nitrite from tank
    [​IMG]
    PH 8.3 (was 8.0 yesterday, and buffer added)
    Nitrate drip 50-60ppm
    Nitrate tank 30ppm
    nitrite drip 5ppm
    nitrite tank 0ppm

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012