Just calibrated two Refractometers

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Av8Bluewater, Oct 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Any decent refractometer should read accurate from 0 to whatever.

And if frogs had wings......

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Every measuring device has some error; the farther away from your calibration point, the less accurate it will be ;)

Now some have higher accuracy than others, so it may not make a big enough difference over the scale. But the point is still the same.

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I don't know the science and engineering behind it but BRS states with this particular Refractometer do not use RO water to calibrate. So what reason do I have to believe they are full of fluff?

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

See my response above ;) These lower priced refractometers are just not accurate enough to calibrate at 0 PPT and then expect them to be accurate at 35 PPT.

6. Rhameolution

Rhameolution Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So... the refractometer I have from agriculture solutions that had me calibrate with distilled water at 0ppt could be highly inaccurate compared to using a 35ppt calibration fluid?

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

No idea. Seems to me it is the same basic ATC refractometer that BRS, etc, sell. I personally wouldn't trust just calibrating it with RO/DI.

8. Click Here!

9. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

For the science behind it, have a read through Randy's article
    Refractometers and Salinity Measurement by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
    Always, use calibration fluid, until you are sure RO water will also work.

10. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

here's my method to calibration of the cheap float type hydrometer. Borrow a few friends hydrometers and make up water to what you would think is 1.026 or whatever you like to keep your water at. Test the water with all the devices and if they all test to the same, just test the water with your meter and mark it with a marker regardless of the scale lol. Me personally I feel like refractometers can be hit or miss and too many factors affect them, this is prime example with calibration.

11. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

That makes no sense, unless the other instruments were calibrated with a reference solution. A refractometer is not "hit or miss" when calibrated properly. The solution is not expensive.

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Agreed X10.