just another diy sump idea please help

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by dirtydavenkc, Jul 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

If your heart is set on sand, get the fine sand. If not, read this......

[​IMG]

Fiji Mud is collected from rare mud patches, discovered by science years ago, which are found in clear uncontaminated seawater. These patches typically occur at 40 - 50 feet of cool, clear water just off the coral reef.

Fiji Mud is unique in its ability to release essential minerals and vital nutrients that will allow hard and soft corals to flourish whether you are starting a new refugium or topping up your existing one. This product contains all the major and minor trace elements as they naturally occur as well as an elaborate network of 5-100 micron size organisms that are critical for the success with Acropora and other small polyp stony corals.

Alternate use: this product can also be added directly to your aquarium at the rate of one teaspoon per 100 gallons twice weekly. Mix with tank water and pour directly into water flow, the water will become cloudy but will return crystal clear overnight. This will add the essentials nutrients when no refugium is available.

Fiji Mud comes in the following two sizes for your maximum convenience:
    • Refugium Starter comes in a 12lb bucket and is ideal for aquarists who are starting a new refugium system or have a large system and need to buy in bulk
    • Refugium Booster is the same product as Refugium Starter but comes in a smaller container of 24 ounces. This size is perfect for those that want to add live mud to their original live sand bed for increased results or to boost their refugium with additional mud as the refugium will naturally deplete over time.

Luna

2. Click Here!

3. dirtydavenkc

dirtydavenkc Purple Spiny Lobster

that looks like a good choice to me. only question is when i turn the ball valve to introduce the new refugium to the system, will it mess with my biological filter.

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

It shouldnt. Luna

5. dirtydavenkc

yeah so ive been really buisy and finally got to my project. heres some pics
    1 supplies
    2 the mess i made during the process
    3 i hate plumbing by now
    4 old sump

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  6. dirtydavenkc

and some more.
    1 i had to cut a hole in the side of my stand.
    2 slide the sump in.
    3 front view of the new sump.
    4 right side(right side of return chamber, fuge).
    5 left side(intake/protein skimmer, seft side of return chamber).

Attached Files:

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

What are you using those two rubber-maid containers for?

Luna

8. Click Here!

9. dirtydavenkc

the guy who set my tank up used those as the sump, and yeah my lfs gave me a free bag of the arogonite cause i placed the whole order with him (typical). i just couldnt tell him i was planning on going with mud.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  10. dirtydavenkc

tada!;D

Attached Files:

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Looks good! Its funny, everytime I have new company over and they see the tank, all you here is "wow, thats beautiful, that must take alot of your time". But when I open the double doors to show them the "filtration system", they ask, they're like " OMG, looks like a science project, what is that for? and this, what does this do?" So when I looked at your pic, those moments came to mind.

Luna

12. dirtydavenkc

i made a place to insert 2 media baskets, now all i have to do is make em. yeah my sis has already come over saying that no normal person builds something like for his fishtank, and said i was nuts for enjoying the hobby so much and that i was MacGyver. i told her i didnt use duct tape for anything so i couldn't be. anyways this setup sounded like niagra falls before and now it is completely quiet. i wasnt expecting any change in noise. just got done straitening up the electrical cords and re-attaching the doors.