just another diy sump idea please help

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by dirtydavenkc, Jul 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

you should only need one valve
    because when you close the one below the tee just a Little bit, the water will go down the pipe to the refuge, and how much you tighten/close the valve, will determine how much water flows into your fuge and how much goes into the skimmer area.

correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Click Here!

3. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

dang :p

4. dirtydavenkc

dirtydavenkc Purple Spiny Lobster

well great minds think alike. ive heard from other people that i emailed this to (who know half of what you guys know) that my protein section is two small. im asking you guys cause ive always heard that you want to make the return pump area as big as possible if you cant hook up a top off system cause youll be filling this up continuously. does this sound right? plus why the protein area any bigger than it possibly have to be?

5. dirtydavenkc

heres the revised.

Attached Files:

6. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

yer right mine is a small area where the return pump is and i have to top water off every other day :-X

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Yes, with no auto top off, the pump section will get low very fast. Make that bigger and you will be fine.

Also, I would not run check valves on the returns. Those are a bad idea and a waste of $$. You should drill a little hole just below the waterline on the returns in the DT. That will take care of excess water running into the sump when the pumps are off because the holes will break the suction.

8. Click Here!

9. dirtydavenkc

i already have the check valves and have been running them for 3 months now should i just leave them out of the new project

1 person likes this.
  10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Yeah, just leave them out, and drill the anti siphon holes. :)
    When you take them out, take a look at them, I bet they have enough crud on them to make your decision. Eventually they will get so clogged up, they won't work, or reduce flow.

1 person likes this.
  11. dirtydavenkc

sounds good to me, ill take your word for it. ill leave them out when i install the new sump

1 person likes this.
  12. dirtydavenkc

ok so im buying the supplies today. i wanted to know what kind of sand should i put in the fuge. and if that will mess with my biological filter. i dont care about cost, i just want the best case scenario.