Joining the ATS crowd, DIY style! (Update plumbing pics)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by insanespain, Sep 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Awesome! This should be a really nice build then!! You are on a roll this week! New lights and filtration!

2. Click Here!

3. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

And a brs order I'm placing tonite for some stuff. My wallet is on fire right now haha!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

4. insanespain

Rapid Order Arrived

Got my order from rapidLED today. Here's what I got done real quick before Monday night football. The heat sinks are 4.25 x 4 inch, which should be perfect since I'm going to be totally changing the screen size. More than likely going with a 4" x 8" screen after reading Santa Monica's new scrubber sizing guidelines. This is going to make lighting it alot easier, and drastically downsize the pump I will need to feed it.

[​IMG]

5. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

hope you have pictures once it's connected of how its running from your sump to your ats..I am in the same boat and thought about doing this myself. Subscribe to this and looking forward to seeing more pictures.. Thanks for sharing.

6. insanespain

Dont worry. There will be detailed pics of the setup and how its plumbed into my system. I also will keep it updated with growth pics once the scrubber is online.

I've had trouble getting much done this week already since I've been super busy. I did get 4 of the leds wired up temporary to see how the coverage would be and how bright they are. WOW, they are bright! I'm in the process of fine tuning my screen size according to the light spread.

[​IMG]

7. Ron P

Ron P Astrea Snail

Looks awesome so far. I've been wanting to do one of these myself for a while now.

Let us know how the leds work out. From what I've read on ATS leds don't work as well but that may be just because not many people have tried it.

8. Click Here!

9. insanespain

There are quite a few people running leds with great success. I based my led setup on what I've read on santa monicas forum. Leds can and WILL work as good if not better than cfls, its just finding the right combination of leds.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

10. sucker_fish

sucker_fish Astrea Snail

Im definitely going to be tagging along on this one, seriously thinking of doing a DIY ATS on my 90, I think i will continue to use the skimmer as well though

11. insanespain

Big Progress

I finally made some progress on the build tonight. I went with a different storage tote container than I orignally had. I went smaller so that it will fit better in the cabinet I'm building and give me more room. I've got the pipe, screen, and lights mounted up. Now all I need to do is order some 1 inch bulkheads for the drain lines, and a Mag3 pump to feed it.

Top Down View

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lights On

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With Lid

[​IMG]

12. Thatgrimguy