John's 75 Last picture

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by 2in10, Jan 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Thats some nice plumbing, very clean looking. I wish I could say that about my tank. :-/

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

A little testing and work

Well I have finally got back to working on the the tank. I bought the supplies I needed to build the canopy and will probably complete that this week.

Yesterday I did Tatted's snail guard mod to my Koralia 1's. Today I tested my out my plumbing work. The glue work was all good but I found where I erred on the install of the overflow. The overflow I bought needed the holes cut out of the overflow itself and on one side I forgot to check out how clean the hole was. It leaked:confused:. So I tightened the nut to stop the leak. Wrong:angry:. I broke the nut and then another one before I decided to check the hole out. That is when I found the beautiful burr around the inside edge that created the leak:oops:. Sanded the burr away to a nice baby smooth finish. So off to the LFS/pond store to get 2 bulkeads to replace the broken nuts. Reinstalled the plumbing and nut, tested for leak, it leaked;D. Tightened the nut down and tested a couple of times before sealing the leak:victory:.

Now on to the next fix, the overflow is flushing wonderfully. The exit to the sump is a couple of inches below the water surface so i am going to trim it to just above the water surface and also cap the overflow drains and insert tubing to vent them. I may need to install a valve on the return line also. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

If you left the end of the tube under the water surface isn't that better?
    No Splashing means no noise and less salt spray/creep.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It seems to be causing a backup so that is why I am thinking of changing. I did a little test with my hand over the drain with airline snaked down the line and couldn't keep the periodic flushing down.

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I have my returns above the water. It does make splashing noise but I don't mind it and find it soothing really. The reason I decided to do this was adding 02 mixing in. The creep is a PITA but was worse when I had a splash guard on.

7. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

I've done a lot of reading and did see how it was fixed.....is the pipe a full siphon? (no is my guess or wouldn't be a problem plus you did say something about an air tube) if not then may be wrong amount of air & water in the pipe making it noisy try the valve on the return pipe to dial it back some to see if there is a sweet spot for it.....just an idea since I have zero experience in this just a boatload of reading what others have done in hopes of doing my new tank right the 1st time.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That is one of the fixes I am looking at, just going to try and get as many thoughts on this as possible and give em a try until one works.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

bumppitty-bump-bump

11. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Well here's another fix for you. You can try a lager diameter pipe and leaving the end in the water as well, you'll get more air to water ratio so the water sheets on the inside of the pipe leaving the middle free for air so no backup and no flushing sound.
    You can also leave the end submerged but drill a vent hole in the pipe just above the water line.
    Just rereading stuff to get mine designed and came across those tidbits.
    Best of luck.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  12. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Not much help on the plumbing issue. But its coming along nicely.

1 person likes this.