Jimmy's Coral Recovery Attempts

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by jimmy_beaner, Jun 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'm thinking the LEDs were too intense and fried the two. I'm not sure why Acan 3 didn't really respond like the other two... they were all in the same tank, very close to each other in the case of Acan 2 and 3. Whatever reason, it seems as though it's "fixed" now as even the stressed and presumably dying acans are taking awhile to give up. Acan 3 seems like it's doing nicely.

2. Click Here!

3. jimmy_beaner

Anyone think they still have a shot? If so, just continue what I'm doing? Or are changes needed at this point?

4. jimmy_beaner

Acan 1 - Day 13
    [​IMG]
    Acan 1 - Day 14
    [​IMG]

Acan 2 - Day 13
    [​IMG]
    Acan 2 - Day 14
    [​IMG]

Acan 3 - Day 14
    [​IMG]

Candy Cane - Day 14
    [​IMG]

5. jimmy_beaner

Acan 1
    Start - 1 Week - 2 Weeks
    It doesn't really look like it's improving to me anyway.
    [​IMG]

Acan 2
    Start - 1 Week - 2 Weeks
    This one really looks to have taken a turn for the worse the last couple days. It's lost it's color and receded a lot.
    [​IMG]

Acan 3
    Start - 1 Week - 2 Weeks
    This one looks to be really enjoying the tank.
    [​IMG]

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Acan 1 and 2 look like history, but I would not pull the skeletons just yet and I would put them in a shaded area or anywhere with less direct light. As long as there is tissue still try to feed.

Number 3 looks good, a little shift in coloration.

You gave it your best shot, that is how you make progress in this hobby and sharing the bad with the good.

7. jimmy_beaner

Interestingly, I have had the LEDs on their lowest setting for about 2 weeks now and Acan 3 is still lightening up its colors, which I'm assuming to be related to the LED intensity. On their lowest setting, they're more powerful than my PC lights.

I'm also in a bit of a conundrum right now... I have a newly split RBTA. The smaller portion doesn't have a mouth so the only energy available to it is from the lights... so I really should think about turning them up a little, but that would hurt Acan 1 and 2.

However, Acan 3 being as healthy as it is in the tank gives me hope for other Acans in the tank. I'm pretty sure whatever issue damaged Acan 1 and 2 is "over", so new Acans should do rather well. I suppose I should also introduce them with very very very slow increases in lighting with tons of feeding.

For those interested, Acan 2 and Acan 3 are located about 3" apart...