Jimmy's Coral Recovery Attempts

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by jimmy_beaner, Jun 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

This is the very initial stages of attempting to get them to recover. I wasn't suggesting they were already getting better, just hopefully that they aren't continuing to get worse. What can be done about the acans? I would appreciate any input. I'm pretty sure they were light stressed by the LEDs. I cut the photoperiod by 3 hours and dimmed the LEDs down to 50-75%
    My biggest concern is that they aren't getting worse at this point. It seemed to me that the worst acan actually ate today, which is a good sign. I'm not saying that means it'll recover, but it's a step towards it standing a chance. Which acan do you see improving? The third acan wasn't ever "bad".

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Yes, the 3rd. May not have been bad, but clearly wasn't happy.

I'm not convinced it's the lights, but I don't have some mind-blowing suggestion for you either. If you fully suspect the lights, I'd move them to a shaded area and do a slow light acclimation to where you ultimately would like them placed. Acans usually do best on the sand however.

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

2in10 and Corailline summed it up in the other thread. Also, I see sand on the Acan skeletons, same issue you had with the brain.

5. jimmy_beaner

They're all relatively close to the sand, and I suppose I could pop them off the rock and put them back in the sand if necessary (though that would likely be stressful).

6. jimmy_beaner

Yes, every now and then that happens. I expect that happened when I rotated the rock to move it closer to the sand. If you're attempting to call me negligent with my corals, I would appreciate you leaving the thread. If not, I'm sorry for the confusion. The sand is trapped against the acan. I have tried blowing it off three times.

This thread isn't a "know all" on recovering acans. It's an attempt (in the title) to recover acans (hopefully with the help of other members) that took a turn for the worse (not due to obvious negligence as my other corals are fine and water quality remained in "good" parameters the entire time) while keeping a daily photo record to show progression (or not).

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

For the record, I didn't mean to imply you were being negligent, I'm just not convinced this is entirely due to lighting. But due to my lack of a suggestion, I don't know what the real contributor may be... The basics have already been covered.

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Not at all. You took it entirely the wrong way. It is what it is, nothing personal. I was going through your earlier posts to get a better understanding of what's going on in your tank. Most likely, if I saw your system in person, I would be able to help you better.

Your Acans seem to have problems with all of the heads, so I would think it was a global problem, or a number of them. The lighting is definitely a factor, as well as placement. Very fine sand is a problem. I wouldn't use it with sensitive corals on the sandbed, but that's just me. The only other thing I can think of is a fish nipping at them.

Don't feel offended, I'm just being honest with you.;)

10. jimmy_beaner

I meant that in relation to the sand comment. I think I "settled" on lights because it was one of the few things that couldn't be explained away. The day they were mounted on the rock, some base rock was added. That could've caused a temporary alk spike that may have stressed them out.

Though they seemed fine for a few days after that. I noticed a lot of the recession when I regenerated the Purigen. I suppose it could've cleared the water further making the already bright lights even brighter or perhaps there was some contamination in the Purigen (you use bleach to regenerate it), though it was soaked in Prime for 24 hours. In any occasion, it's out of the tank now. I had never heard about the pink skeleton being an infection. I assume no real way to treat it?

11. jimmy_beaner

That's why I threw the disclaimer in there. I knew about the sand (I examined the pictures at full size (not internet size) so there isn't much hiding from me). I have them up off the sand now, which I had assumed would help. I got the sand before I ever even knew about acans. I can't imagine it'd be a fish as there are only two clowns in the tank and they don't come near them. I'm tempted to drop the LED lighting a little further to see if they'll start improving further considering they seem to be eating finally. Plus, I can always feed the anemone and keep it decently happy.

12. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

i dont know for sure but if u have a qt tank i would move the sickly corals to it ,it kinda looks like they have brown jelly disease but im no expert the acan that doesnt look like its having a problem might end up going as well imo