Jimmy's Coral Recovery Attempts

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by jimmy_beaner, Jun 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

I want to take some daily shots and anyone willing can comment on whether there is recovery occurring or not. I have three days of pictures currently, and I can arrange them by day to make the comparison easier. Anyway, on to the pics!

Candy Cane - Day 1
    [​IMG]
    Candy Cane - Day 2
    [​IMG]
    Candy Cane - Day 3
    [​IMG]
    Candy Cane - Day 3 - Close Up
    [​IMG]

The right half of the Candy Cane is looking better, but I'm not sure on the left half. Sadly, the left half is the side that had 4-5 mouths and was likely ready for a massive set of splits (maybe that's part of what's causing the issue??)

Acan 1 - Day 1
    [​IMG]
    Acan 1 - Day 2
    [​IMG]
    Acan 1 - Day 3
    [​IMG]
    Acan 1 - Night 3 - I include this because the oral disk area is somewhat inflated, which is the first sign I've seen of that. This morning (Morning 4) it seems to be a little less inflated than the picture, but the point is that it's trying.
    [​IMG]
    It's not that Acan 1 is looking "good", but it seems to be showing improvement over Day 1.

Acan 2 - Day 1
    [​IMG]
    Acan 2 - Day 2
    [​IMG]
    Acan 2 - Day 3
    [​IMG]
    This colony had the left middle head eat a small portion of cyclopeeze on Night 2. I think a majority of the color change appearance comes from the "hotness" of the flash. While it was always at the same setting, slight changes in the angle could cause color temperature change (look at the rocks or other areas of the picture to confirm). However, it did seem like a little more white and "swirl" was showing up.

No real change in Acan 3.
    Acan 3 - Day 1 (this is the "healthy" colony)
    [​IMG]
    Acan 3 - Day 2
    [​IMG]
    Acan 3 - Day 3
    [​IMG]
    I apologize for the hot spots in this picture, it's a bit over exposed.

Feedback more than appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think the corals are going to be fine. I do not see any sign of damage or tissue loss. Just keep doing what you have started and they should recover just fine.

4. jimmy_beaner

Super exciting. This could be a fun adventure. I'm glad I will have daily pictures to share

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

LPS are very good at recovering, if the issue was corrected. I think when you compare images one or two weeks apart you will really see the improvment. Sometimes the changes are painfully slow.

Thank you for sharing.

6. jimmy_beaner

I don't mind painfully slow, as long as they are improving. I'd rather capture every event and phase of the recovery rather than skip a bunch of time. Eventually I'd like to be able to cycle through them and watch the recovery in fast forward.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yea that is exactly what I do. I date every image even if it is not a progression shot. I find surprises all the time when I look back.

8. Click Here!

9. jimmy_beaner

Acan 1 - Day 4
    [​IMG]
    Acan 2 - Day 4
    [​IMG]
    Acan 3 - Day 4
    [​IMG]

I also decided to attempt the Rod's Food and rotifers...
    I assume this is a normal acan feeding response?
    Acan 3 - Day 4 Feeding
    [​IMG]
    even the candy cane that's looking lack luster was eating, though this was only observed on the right side not the left.
    [​IMG]

Acan 1 - Day 4 Feeding Attempt??
    Is this acan attempting to eat? It certainly looks like it! The next two pictures were AFTER the flow was turned back on.
    [​IMG]
    This certainly looks like an effort to eat. If so, this is wonderful news. Granted, I flooded over the top of the acan with rotifers and Rod's Food and left the flow off for 25 minutes.
    [​IMG]

10. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Maybe I'm not seeing the same thing as everyone else, but it looks to me like all of the corals in the first post are receding, not recovering. Take a close look at the base of the tissue where it meets the skeleton. The pink skeletons on the Acans are a sign of infection. It's hard to bring them back from that point. I wish you luck, though.

Were the issues that caused the initial decline addressed?

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I tend to agree, only one acan appears to be getting any better to me.

12. N3MATOCYST

N3MATOCYST Spaghetti Worm

something is wrong there altogether, water chemistry, temp, fluctuations