Jimmy's 90 Gallon Build Thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by jimmy_beaner, Aug 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'm confused. Why wouldn't it be coral?

Additionally, I sort of restructured the sump tonight. I can clean up a lot of space by using a hang on filter sock holder if it'll be quiet enough.

2. Click Here!

3. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Great progress!

Just out of curiosity, are both of the fans intake or exhaust?

Looking great nonetheless!

4. jimmy_beaner

One fan is intake the other is exhaust

5. jimmy_beaner

I figured the fans running counter to each other should provide nice steady flow (directionally, not chaotically) through the canopy.
    Anyway, some additional decisions have been made and will be ordered this week.

1) Looking like I want to go with ~90 pounds of Tropic Eden Reef Flakes. Ideally I would like around a 1.5" - 2" sand bed. We'll see just how deep I need, but I would assume that would be enough for my pistol to be happy.

2) Eheim Jager 200w heater and 250w heater. I'm not sure how common it is to mix different sized heaters, but a second 250w heater would have issues fitting into the sump due to its size. I am intending the 250w heater to be the primary heater with the 200w being its back up. That 200w should provide enough heating to keep the tank up to temp if the 250w fails. I may try to see if I could align them in ways that they can both be in the skimmer drain section which would allow me 2x 250w. I worry about them possible getting exposed to air in the return section if it runs a bit low (who knows, I might be taking extended job interviews and fiance might not feel comfortable topping off the water or something).

3) I think I'm leaning toward ReefCleaner base rock but haven't quite decided how much is needed. I had figured at least 75 pounds. The primary reason is that I was strongly considering Pukani which is rather light. I've heard nothing but great things about the ReefCleaner rock and I've worked with him on clean up crews before.

4) I have diagrammed out the plumbing for the sump. I'm not decided about using a check valve or just making sure that my return is high enough that a siphon wouldn't lead to a flood. Also, being that my system looks to have 1" choke points in the bulkheads, I will likely stick with 1" pipe... though because I'm really thinking of not doing my PVC "muffler" system (space savings in sump), it might be nice to go with a 1.5" tubing to allow slower flow with the same amount of water moving.

5) Lighting: I'm still trying to decide on the multichips. They'll take awhile to ship, which sucks... but I'm not ready for them anyway. I think I'm leaning toward the 100w versions but haven't quite decided on color. I have the 80/20 aluminum rails in... but they need 1.5" chopped off the smaller cross bars. I also need them drilled and then I can make the frame for the lights. I still need to figure out how to mount my GPU coolers to them as well.

6) The updated ETA of trim and doors comes Wednesday. I deferred to my fiance's father who is a cabinet maker on this one. Not that I couldn't do it, but I know he'll do an awesome job.

Is there anything else major that I'm forgetting? I have a Brute can in the garage for the rocks... should probably order them soon so they can get to curing and a rough cycling.

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I have 2 different sized heaters in my system as well. I have a 200W primary and 250W backup (from an older tank). And as far as your plumbing, a check valve is never a bad idea. I use that in conjunction with a relatively high return manifold. Even if the check valve completely failed, it will fill my sump to the top, but not overflow :) You can always drill a hole near the top of your return in the tank to minimize what will siphon.

7. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

True, but I would say never rely on a check valve completely to prevent overflowing.... I've seen them fail too many times. All it takes is a snail or grit of sand...

8. Click Here!

9. ChrisBs

ChrisBs Purple Spiny Lobster

looking good mate

10. jimmy_beaner

Just figuring out the plumbing now

11. jimmy_beaner

Ready for trim... I have the baffles being cut and I'm "dry fitting" the plumbing. I have the drain side ready. I think I'm going to try to minimize the plumbing set up as there really isn't a ton of room in the stand. Somewhat shocking how tall the sump is. Oh well. That means... no check valve. I'll get it figured out for feeding the fuge through a "manifold" type set up from the return.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The in stand fans are also mounted up and fully functional.

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Looks great! Are you going to add doors?