Jimmy's 90 Gallon Build Thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by jimmy_beaner, Aug 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

Awesome progress for 1 week... When do you plan on getting the system wet?

2. Click Here!

3. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'm not sure when it'll be filled. I'm going to be curing dead base rock as to start completely clean... so that could take awhile.
    As far as understanding what it is or how it'll work... I made this in paint:
    [​IMG]
    Basically, the turbulent water breaks under the water surface which is supposed to muffle the sound of the incoming water. After that point, it is brought back up and flows out of the reducer and overflows where there are two filter socks so the water is still filtered. This way, I get a quieter sump and still get the option of using filter socks.

4. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

^How did you come up with this? and do you know that it works? Very interesting.

5. jimmy_beaner

Aqueon proflex models have it. So I sort of adapted it from there. If it doesn't work... it's easily removable... though their sumps definitely seemed quieter with it on.

6. jimmy_beaner

Just ordered a BRS 5 stage RO/DI with RO drinking water bypass kit, Reef Octopus 150, and Eheim 1260 return pump.

7. MuddyMudskipper

MuddyMudskipper Astrea Snail

I liked option #3 with the walnut. you might even use a really light brown stain on everything to bring the colors a little closer together. Get the minwax stuff that makes the color soak in evenly - forget what its called but its a yellow can.

8. Click Here!

9. MuddyMudskipper

MuddyMudskipper Astrea Snail

I love my RO/DI. I had just RO for a year or so and recently added the DI. No more descaling the coffee pots :)

Interestingly enough, my cat now REFUSES to drink non-RO water, so I have followed suit. Whenever Im making salt mix he sits next to the bucket and SCREAMS at me.

10. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Thanks for the Paint drawing :)

Ive used Aqueon sump before. It worked great, I think, but I didnt know anything else at that time...

Mine's Bean, VERY quiet. Virtually dead silent. And I get to use a filter sock. Sacul1573 used to have a reef ready 90gallon just like yours. It was dead quiet according to him, you might wanna PM him?

11. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

These are all great choices! Congrats!!

And if I were you, Id start curing the dry rock in a separate container.

12. jimmy_beaner

Yeah, I'm cleaning out my *almost* new Rubbermaid Brute trash bin. I'm debating between ordering the Pukani from BRS or ReefCleaners rock.