Jimmy's 90 Gallon Build Thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by jimmy_beaner, Aug 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

More progress.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Should be ready to skin soon. I'm planning out the front panel to see how big of opening I should make in the skin (for the door reveal and what not). Also, might start planning a sump soon. I had thought of the ProFlex 3-4... but I'm thinking it might be better for me to just build it and get it exactly how I want it.

2. Click Here!

3. jimmy_beaner

Progress
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh, and some may get excited by this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I may be transitioning toward skinning the canopy soon as well.

4. jimmy_beaner

I sealed the frame tonight. I also added 2x4s in the front for mounting the doors. I am hoping tonight or tomorrow morning (more likely) to cut the oak trim for the front. It'll REALLY start looking like a stand at that point. Oh, and I picked up a light to mount in the stand for a sump light (not the sump light that'll be growing cheato... just a work light).

Oh, and I picked up some 8020 framing to start building the frame for my LEDs. And the heat sinks are on the way in for those as well. I'm thinking 2 - 100W LEDs at 20k (the multichips). Then I'll throw some 3W Crees of varying colors around the frame for the LEDs for supplementation. I will be mounting 2 - 120mm fans in the back of the canopy to vent the canopy.

5. jimmy_beaner

Just a little more progress. Stand is now sealed, I need to seal the canopy as well. I also have cut the front skin for the stand and it's been attached. I also mounted a sump access light that will be run via switch on the powerstrip to help me see when I'm working in the sump (not the same light for growing my chaeto in the fuge). I also mounted some cross beams in the canopy to mount my LED set up to. I will drill holes and put some eye bolts in, which will then be linked to the LED frame.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will be figuring out how to route the wires to keep them off the ground and minimize the clutter in the stand.

6. jimmy_beaner

Small progress update this morning.
    Cut egg crate for the bottom of the tank for when rock gets ordered and cured and all that. Just picking off little tasks that need done eventually.
    [​IMG]
    Cut egg crate for the top of the tank to act as a covered top to prevent (or at least slow down) some jumpers). It fits perfectly and shouldn't block the LEDs too much.
    [​IMG]
    It also slides rather easily on with the canopy frame mounted. This is very important so I don't have to remove the canopy to put fish in or just general in tank things.

And, cut out the foot print of a 30 gallon tank that I'm hoping to pick up for the sump. Had to make sure I could slide it in at an angle because it's actually a hint wider than the opening of the front of the tank. Once I get the tank and set it in the stand, I can start mounting in the powerstrip and routing wires. I want as much hidden as possible. I'll silicone the baffles and what not in once I get all my sump equipment to make sure it all fits prior to finishing any sort of "designs" on the build.
    [​IMG]

7. solar0987

solar0987 Astrea Snail

So far so good!

I like option 1 also

8. Click Here!

9. pareefer

pareefer Plankton

Great job keep us posted I love builds you learn so much from others.

10. jimmy_beaner

Yesterday, picked up a 30 gallon tank for the sump (went to three places to find one, and then had to separate it from the kit it was in). Went to Lowe's and grabbed some other things to help out as well, mostly things to help routing cords in the stand and some plumbing. Lastly, a trip to RadioShak for an AC to DC power adapter. There's a lot of cool stuff getting ready to happen. I also got trim samples and am pretty sure I know what trim I want to go with.
    I'll just leave this here as well:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. jimmy_beaner

So, maybe some additional pictures about the earlier object.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's able to be dropped into a 3" hole I drill into the sump. It works similar to a muffler on a car. The water flows in the 1.5" PVC down to the bottom of the sump. At that point, it hits the end cap and has to flow back up the 3" PVC. At the top, it flows out of the holes in the reducer and will hit a platform where there will be filter sock holes so the water can be filtered. I'm currently thinking of just hand tightening the PVC cap at the bottom so the entire thing is removable in case it doesn't work as intended or if there is a problem with it. The downside is I was planning on siliconing where the reducer meets the glass so I have a seal for the water to want to go through the filter sock. Anyway, it's actually "done" at this point and now I'm just waiting to decide when I want to buy the glass for the sump baffles.

12. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

I was wondering what it was, I dont think I could sleep tonight until I read what it was for. (Well I still cant fully wrap my mind around it tho)