Jimmy's 90 Gallon Build Thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by jimmy_beaner, Aug 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

I got the calib solutions from here. I also use non-Apex brand probe, but its working fine. I used different solution i got from eBay before and gave me wacky reading. Turned out it was bad calib solutions. Might not be the case, but worth checking.
    [​IMG]

Ok, about your LED plan, I hope its not too late, but 6 reds, deep reds and greens are way too many. I recently went broader with my LED, used only two (deep) reds and i think its perfect amount. I do have Neutral whites, but its far from being too "warm". Just in case, heres my rebuild thread.

I really think this build should be moved to Show off your tank section.

2. Click Here!

3. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

Yeah, I used the individual use pH solutions as I heard the larger bottles can drift over time. The nice thing about using the 6 of those colors... is that they are all DIMMABLE :D. I have heard that they are very strong, but my biggest concern is spotlighting. So, even if I run them at 20%... I will have even spread :)

I do need more pH solution... I guess I may have to calibrate from the display, not the web page.

4. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Aha! Sounds good on the LED. Really looking forward to the result! You gonna dim control via VDM, correct? (sorry if it was mentioned already)

You got me worried. Im gonna go calibrate the pH now.

5. jimmy_beaner

I'm dimming straight from the APEX.
    I have the full version, so 4 independent channels... planning on the following:
    1) Whites - 2x 100W multichips
    2) Royal Blues - 24x 3W Cree
    3) Blue/Violet
    4) Red/Deep Red and Green/Cyan (I'm not sure if they will be roughly the same color output at the same dimming... if NOT, then I can set blue and violet to max since they're pretty muted colors considering the Royal Blues, and then move one of these two to channel 3)

6. jimmy_beaner

If you took some of the sample out of the bottle when you went for calibration, it should help prevent contamination.

7. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Well thought out plan. Got a good feeling that it's gonna be great execution too :D

Thats how ive been doing :)

Have you registered on Reeftronics? You can stalk my tank here.

8. Click Here!

9. jimmy_beaner

I've drawn out a wiring diagram and everything... I have about 150 pieces coming in for all the connectors and what not. I will have to figure out how I want to cut a hole into the heatsinks for my current multichips to drop into. That'll be a fun little project. It's probably the thing I'm looking forward to the most.

10. jimmy_beaner

11. jimmy_beaner

So, got the Tunze ATO set up... and then ran all the lines once my 32 Gallon Brute can came in. I also have the matching lid.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drilled a pair of holes in it along with rubber grommets... tight fit.

[​IMG]

Also grommeted the entry into the stand.
    [​IMG]

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I just have to say I'm totally impressed with those of you that do all these techie things as well as carpentry, plumbing, wiring etc.