Jimmy's 90 Gallon Build Thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by jimmy_beaner, Aug 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

2. Click Here!

3. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

great tang shot! Tank is looking great!

5. jimmy_beaner

It'll be looking a lot better shortly :)

I am putting together a build list for the parts necessary to finish my full spectrum LEDs. I have already ordered some of the components... and tools. I am planning on having my entire light set up to be able to be unplugged (I'm thinking 2x 24 pin connectors for this). That will be all of the dimming and power to the LEDs as well as the fans that I can unplug and remove if needed.

6. jimmy_beaner

Ordered my heatsinks today... will be ordering drivers and solderless connectors tomorrow most likely. I drew up a sketch of the LED layout to help prevent spot lighting. I went without optics on the LEDs.
    [​IMG]

18x Royal Blue
    6x Blue
    6x Deep Red
    6x Red
    6x Green
    6x Cyan
    6x Violet
    2x 100W White LED Multichip

Wouldn't mind input if I have somethings that could be corrected prior to drilling/tapping.

7. jimmy_beaner

So, moving on with the lights portion of the build... huge chunk of $$ dropped to get the rest of the parts I should need to actually finish the build. All that I really should have left is a tap for the 4-40 bolts for the BJB solderless connectors.

So, I picked up 4x Meanwell ELN60-48D drivers. I will run the RB in parallel off the same driver. These LEDs can handle max current of the driver alone, plus I will wire in a 1A fuse for each of the two strings. After that, the Red and Deep Red LEDs are wired in series off the same driver (and will have the same amount of dimming), the Blue and Violet are wired together in series, the Cyan and Green are wired together, all four of these will have the same dimming, the Royal Blues are wired in 2 parallel strands of 13 LEDs in series and will have their own dimming.

I added 8x Royal Blue LEDs, bringing me up to 26. I realize this is a relatively small amount, but I have 14k multichip whites which already have a fair bit of "blue" to them. I selected the 14k multichip to get the base color of light I want, and then use the colored LEDs to supplement and make the corals pop.

I picked up 200 4-40 allen bolts and 62 BJB solderless connectors. I also picked up 100 feet of 20 gauge solid wire for the connectors. Additionally, I ordered 2x 200mm CoolerMaster fans to cool off the big heat sink. It's large enough that it covers more than half of the heatsink alone and moves a lot of air. I feel with the GPU coolers I have on my multichips, this fan should be able to keep its side cool.

I ordered 2x 10"x14" heatsinks. Lastly, I picked up a ton of connectors. My goal is to be able to pull out my set up by simply disconnecting a plug or a couple plugs. I have 8-pin connectors for the lights on each side and 4-pin connectors for the fan connections for each side. These will then all be routed into a 24-pin connector that will lead to the top of the canopy where all the drivers are housed.

8. Click Here!

9. jimmy_beaner

I'm staining the doors for the stand right now... final coat in the morning... then mounting. Also got grommets for the ATO lines to run into the stand to clean up the appearance a bit. This means the stand is practically done... there's still a little trim work that I plan on doing, but nothing major. Will probably wait until the lights are done before worrying about the last trim.

10. jimmy_beaner

Ready for final coat...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. jimmy_beaner

12. jimmy_beaner

Well, I made a mess... that I now have to clean up (set the hinges into the vertical pieces)... but the doors are on. I just need a "catch" for the doors.
    [​IMG]