Jimmy's 90 Gallon Build Thread

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by jimmy_beaner, Aug 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

We have decided to transition from the Biocube 29 into a larger tank. I have done a fair chunk of DIY stuff with the Biocube, but it's just a bit limited for what we want so on to bigger things. No pics just yet... though I do have a Canon 7D so there will be lots of pics. I am making this thread very early in the planning phases of this 90 gallon tank so I might harvest information from as many as are willing to provide it.

Tank: 90 Gallon Marineland RR (Purchased)
    I have already purchased this tank new with corner overflow. A fellow reefer had plans change and sold this to me new.

Sump: Aqueon ProFlex 4 (Possible)
    I had initially planned on building my own. I don't have a lot of experience with glass or acrylic work, so I may go with a pre-made unit. Currently, the Aqueon ProFlex 4 seems like a very attractive choice. And... it'll fit into my stand beautifully (though it wouldn't leave much extra space). The ProFlex 3 would leave me some end room to have some external sump things and what not. I am, of course, open to input.

Stand: Plans under design (good amount of wood in the garage)
    I am currently designing a stand. I have a pretty good amount of woodworking in my past, and my fiance's dad builds cabinets (among other things) for a living... so I should be set in this area. I'm currently planning 4"x4" vertical supports with 2"x6" horizontal beams supporting the tank. All wood wolmanzied and sprayed with waterproofing. All joints glued and screwed. I will affix some more design things later after I draft them (by hand, unfortunately unless someone has a link to some "free" CAD that is easy to use).

Skimmer: Reef Octopus 150 (Possible) (not purchased)
    I really like this skimmer though I'm open to input.

Heaters: 2x250 watts (or is this overkill?) (not purchased)
    Wouldn't mind more input here, otherwise just pick up a pair of titanium (probably) heaters with some good reviews.

Controller: need input
    I'm currently thinking of the Apex. I realize it's a LOT of controller, but there are some cool things it allows me to do. I'd love to set my LEDs to dim, but I haven't quite figured out how to do that on DIY LEDs. I would like to run the LEDs (and associated fans), pumps, heaters, skimmer at minimum. Additionally, an auto top off and maybe some reactors would be nice as well. And the pH and temp at minimum as well.

Lighting: DIY LED (under development)
    Will be putting together a system with 8020 and multichip LEDs with some supplemental crees. A vented canopy will be built as part of the stand to help vent the LEDs which will each have a dedicated heat sink and fans.

Return Pump: Really open here as well. Ehiem 1260 was on my list.

This ignores a lot of the plumbing and other accessories that will need picked up as we transition along the project... but I would like to focus on the major components first and try to get some of those things situated. My biggest concern right now would be the stand, so I will try to draft up some plans in the next few days and get those uploaded as well.

For any that have input, please feel free to leave it. I look forward to the journey. I have left off the in-tank flow as I have a lot of stuff to do before that's a huge concern. I would love an MP40, though I may stick with some MaxiJet 1200s for now.

Ok, so using the stand template on ReefCentral... I have come up with some lengths to get the stand ready to go in.

3/4" Plywood Deck and Floor (2x 48.5"x18.5")
    2"x6" Top Rails (2x 48.5" lateral and 2x 15.5" transverse)
    2"x4" Bottom Rails (2x 48.5" lateral and 8x 15.5" transverse (will have 3 under Deck and Floor as well))
    2"x4" Vertical Risers (8x)
    2"x4" Vertical Supports

This should net me a stand that is around 30" tall, which matches my desk that it'll sit by. It also provides me 6" on top of the Reef Octopus 150 (if I go that route) so clearance shouldn't be an issue with any reasonable skimmer I pick. Should be off to pick up the lumber soon. I decided against the pressure treated wood because I guess they use copper in the treatment. With the right paint, it won't be an issue.

We decided to make the stand a little bit taller for better viewing. I'm 6'2" and really don't want a face full of canopy when I walk by.

This is the skeleton of the stand. I still have to put up the cross braces and the 3/4" plywood across the top and bottom. Then skin and trim.

Pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This stand is the "inspiration" or goal for what I'm going for... and yes, in oak.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I still have to put together a canopy and all of that. I'm really looking forward to this build and am expecting to drag it out awhile... extra enjoyment that way. Anyway, open to input and feedback.

2. Click Here!

3. jimmy_beaner

More info on the stand, since the actual build has changed from the proposed earlier. The top of the frame is 2"x6" with the bottom frame being 2"x4". There are three 2"x4"s in each corner. All joints are glued and screwed with stainless steel 2.5" deck screws (#8?) with pilot holes and counter sunk. The next steps are to add in the cross supports on the top and bottom frame. Then add 3/4" plywood decks to the top and bottom (tank and sump). Then skin in oak and add trim work.

The stand has a 38" opening in the front to allow ease of access. I'm also planning on mounting a light I can turn on when I want to mess around in the sump that is separate to the whole system. I do still need to figure out mounting places for outlets and what not in the stand.

4. jimmy_beaner

More progress. The stand skeleton is now complete. You'll notice some plywood for skinning the back in the background. The stand is rock solid at this point. I am drafting up how to build the decorative corners I want for the stand and will be looking at picking up the oak plywood for skinning the front and sides today or tomorrow. Stand is coming along nicely.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the mean time, I also started up the canopy frame. There's a good chunk of work left on it, but this is a good start. The frame perfectly aligns with the top of the tank stand which should mean the trim will also fit perfectly and tightly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Looking reaaaally good Jimmy!

When I had the old 29 gallon, I used the ProFlex model 1, worked well. However, I DIYed the sump with 20 long with 3 chambers using 3 pieces glass panes. And Id do the same again, save the cost for something else. Some people had success with acrylic pieces with glass sump, but I had other glass pieces cut for the overflow box.

Its a very well thought build. Keep it up, and Im more than positive that it's gonna be a great looking tank!!

In case you havent seen it, here is the 90 thread, might as well give it a bump :)

6. jimmy_beaner

Thanks. I'll have to look through your build thread when I get some free time. I'm currently "stuck" with a design decision. It's a great place to be, but somewhat agonizing as well.
    Option 1
    [​IMG]

Option 2
    [​IMG]

Option 3
    [​IMG]

Option 4
    [​IMG]

Option 5
    [​IMG]

I'm personally feeling Option 2 or 3. Option 5 also isn't bad. Option 5 would be the easiest of those three to do as well.

Sorry for the crappy photoshops.

7. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Looking Nice Jimmy!

8. Click Here!

9. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Tagging along. Looks like this will be a great build. Awesome work so far.

10. jimmy_beaner

I'm thinking of going with Option 5... assuming I can find walnut crown moulding that fits the bill. I suppose I might be able to have my fiance-to-be's father make or buy me some (he's a professional cabinet maker).

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It's a beautiful stand thus far, great work!

12. jimmy_beaner

3/4" plywood is now affixed to the top. Tomorrow I'll be cutting the plywood for the bottom piece. I also am sort of getting back into thinking I'll be building my own sump. I can't imagine it's that much harder than what I'm doing... and I can get black acrylic and all that to make it fancy like.