Jewel Damsel FOTM - March '08

Discussion in 'Fish of the Month' started by omard, Mar 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

Jewel Damsel
    (Plectroglyphidodon lacrymatus)
    (Added to Nano - 16 February 2008 )

Was looking for something small and colorful to keep my two percs company in 12 gallong Nano. Had to be a fish pretty strong willed as the percs are pretty obsessive about their home.

LFS has large Damsel/Chromis tank filled with many different varieties which he sells at $4 each.

Spotted this little guy of which there was only one in tank hiding in corner.

Thought looked pretty at LFS, but was not I got it home and settled in Nano did I really get a close look at it. Absolutly gorgeous little fish!

Seems a wide variety of "Jewel" or "Jeweled" Damselfish, so took me a while to get identified.

[​IMG]

Latin Name: Plectroglyphidodon lacrymatus (Quoy & Gaimard, 1825)

Family: Pomacentridae (Damselfishes) picture (Pllac_u1.jpg) by Randall, J.E.

Order: Perciformes (perch-likes)

Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)

Max. size: 10.0 cm TL (male/unsexed; Ref. 4391)

Environment: reef-associated; non-migratory; marine; depth range 1 – 40 m

Climate: tropical; 30°N - 30°S

Resilience: High, minimum population doubling time less than 15 months(Preliminary K or Fecundity.)

Morphology: Dorsal spines (total): 12 - 12; Dorsal soft rays (total): 16 - 18; Anal spines: 2; Anal soft rays: 13 – 14. Juveniles have brighter and more numerous blue spots than adults.

Biology: Inhabits clear lagoon and seaward reefs, in areas with mixed coral and rubble or dead coral rocks. Feeds mainly on benthic algae and associated small invertebrates and fish eggs.

Red List Status: Not in IUCN Red List (Ref. 57073)

Dangerous: harmless

Notes: Well behaved. Somewhat timid by two percs it shares nano with. Easily intiminated by them, but holds own well especially during feeding time, where it out competes them for best morsals.

Significant smaller then my other damsels. Don't know if because a juvenile or that is nature. ???? - But makes it perfect for a Nano inhabitant.

[​IMG]

Without question, the greatest fish I have ever found for the $!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

References:

Saltwaterfish.com

MarineDepotLive

The Damsel and Anemonefishes, Family Pomacentridae (Webmedia)

Davis Family Aquarium - Reef Log: Jewel Damsel

More Photos

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Hey, meybe when I get a nano......or when 55 gal looks like another fish needs replacing :-/

4. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

[​IMG]
    Care to explain why you have a small dancing man? J/K im gonna use this one everywhere now, lol

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This fish is just worth dancing over....;D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see from pics, this is a very "photogenic" fish, that loves getting its picture taken. Loads of personality and a wonderful Nano addition.

(not hard to tell when I am in love...[​IMG])

6. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

Looks like a bad case of Ich to me!!!;)

7. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

jewel damsels are evil and very territorial
    and it will change color as it gets older

8. Click Here!

9. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Yeah, my friend just pulled one outta his tank... wouldn't even let the crabs outta their shells!

10. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I had one in my nano. Pretty fish...

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

No fish is "evil" -- just people that try to mix incompatable species.

All damsels seem to carry a diseputable reputation.

Too bad, as many overlook very cool fish which are generally very inexpensive.

I have four in main tank that bother no other fish (unless they try to tresspass in the damsels little cove they have staked out in far corner of tank.) Other fish respect that area and steer clear, except for CB which goes there just for the fun of chasing them about. When wandering about tank the damsels are gregarious, easy going fish.

The jewel was perfect addition to Nano occupied by two very agressive percs. Gets along with them fine now, after being chased about 1st day or so by the two early occupants. Only gets in trouble if it wanders too close to the anemone.

Moral I guess,

Don't keep damsels with other docil fish.

Give plenty of living/swimming room when sharing tank with a number of other species.

Add to tank as juveniles if possible...

If adding several, try to do together.

The jewel will get a darker green as it gets older...but will keep its pretty floresent spots and still be a very distinguished looking fish...

Don't overlook!

[​IMG]

A very, very cool and beautiful fish that loves to show off those beautiful blue spots!

8)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those "spots" are completely mesmerizing. (Have realized I much have a great affinity for "spotted" fish - "Jewel Damsel" "Coris Wrasse" "Spotted Shrimp Goby", "Watchman Goby" "Green Spotted Mandarin Goby" - need to make post on...:-/) - Have often wondered much why "nature" has created so many of the reef fish we keep with these "spotted" bodies...[​IMG] - especially those with these flashy ones...confuse predators? - seems it would make them stand out more...:confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Small, florescent "blue", almost perfect circles (not common in nature!) spread out over complete body...

[​IMG]

All over head.

[​IMG]

On eyes also.

[​IMG]

Only place without them is on tail.

[​IMG]

While at it, check out the same florescent "blue" trim on fins.

Simply Gorgeous...

Certainly an "eye-catcher" in tank.:eek:

Having 4-5 in tank would make it just astounding!!!

[​IMG]

Ok...as mentioned elsewhere/ other much evidence of in posts...I am very prone to get carried away with certain aspects of my reef inhabitants...sorry... :-[