Jet Black Sand

Discussion in 'Sand' started by ReeferCatFish, Dec 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

poseidon:
    it boils down to personal presence in this hobby, which is why there is also BB

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Sweet tank. I added a yellowhead goby two days ago.. they really sift some sand.

4. Poseidon

Poseidon Astrea Snail

I agree, there is nothing wrong with white sand, black sand, or bare bottom for that matter. That being said, for someone to use anecdotal evidence to suggest that using black sand would increase tank temp, or increase algae growth is silly.

Personal preference is a valid option for making your decision. I have used both white and "black" sand, and both are valid choices. The objections listed above to using black sand just don't hold water in my experience.

5. Poseidon

Poseidon Astrea Snail

Thank you, it is a work in progress. I did some re-aquascaping today, to make room for frags that were on the sandbed. (The goby likes to BURY them.) Hopefully the tank will be presentable tomorrow. :D

6. rjw

rjw Plankton

Yeah i got it at that pet place, i live 45 min from there.. YAHOO.. i really like it, i would not go back to white.

thanks for the comps on the pics.

7. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

sorry to get off topic but could you keep a sand sifter with black sand

8. Click Here!

9. ReeferCatFish

ReeferCatFish Plankton

The black sand from That Pet Place that I was looking at specifically says its completely safe for sand loving organisms. This was a consideration of mine too.

Link to the sand again:
    https://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/239688/product.web

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

So your anecdotal evidence is better? I'm confused.

I've run just about every type of substrate in the hobby at one time or another. (Actually, usually all of them at the same time depending on the tank). I just report my experiences. Whether one chooses to ignore them or whether one chooses to listen to me is up to them.

1 person likes this.
  11. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

me too! but then again I'm always confused :lol:

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

One important note!: As someone suggested, there is a 50/50 blend (salt and pepper). Be very wary if you get one of those from the company called CaribSea. They sell one thats not snail safe. There's something in the mix (and only the one particular salt and pepper mix) that cuts the heck out of snails feet. This is something I have seen personally. There is a warning on the bag in VERY small, fine print. Just a heads up

1 person likes this.