Jebo lights???

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by rjweng, Jun 15, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I am most likely the one that brought it up so here are the links no gossip.
    One with pics
    http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69516&st=0&gopid=660222&
    and the one in my local club
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=720611

There have been more nation wide. I not slamming I just want people to be informed. I am not an equipment snob either most of my equipment come straight out of China. There is good and bad and the forums are a good place to find it.

2. Click Here!

3. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

I agree with Covey with every piece of product that we buy for out setups we have that chance of getting a lemon. I mean look at Ford all lemon's (just kidding ford owners). What I am tring to say is that this company produces 1,000's of product a year and to have 1 or even 10 burn out or go bad is great. Back to ford again recall on Wrangler tires 2 years ago. Now Wrangler makes probably around 100,000k tires a year of that model yet 20k were recalled. The problem is that there are many factors to concider here. Jebo might have 3 different vendors of the condensor. That one company that supplies them with only 1/10 of production might be the problem child. So what happens 1 out of every 10 are bad. But every product out there from cars to motorcycles from air planes to boat from Chevys to Fords. You will never have a product line that is completely flawless in production there is always that one that sneeks through the cracks when the boss or QC is not looking.

4. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Hey everyone!

So I just wanted to do a quick update on this thread since it has been 16 months. I am happy to say that the fixture is still up and running and doing well. No meltdowns or burning smells. The PCs and halides fire up every day without a hitch.

Unfortunately I let my tank go for the past 4 months, and was even to the point of considering selling it (I even had it advertised in the newspaper, but to no avail). It all went downhill and a bunch of my corals died off and I just didn't have the time or money to support it anymore. I also lost hope and really just didn't care about it either. It was a very sad situation, but I have decided to check the tank into rehab. So it's well on its way to recovery, and after a couple more changes I will be able to start adding some coral frags again and getting some good colonies growing.

I do have a quick question. The bulbs need to be changed about once every 12 months, right?

I won a couple auctions for replacement MH bulbs on eBay (Total including shipping for 2 bulbs is less than $20!! A FREAKING STEAL!!). But I haven't changed them since I bought this fixture 16 months ago. I'm guessing that had a major role in the downfall of my corals. The PCs are going to be replaced right after the MHs, but I figure the MHs needed to be replaced first and foremost since they're the real coral growers/supporters.

!!! SUSHI !!!

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

M/H will go about 2 yrs I find on average VHO depending on the brand URI about 18 months and P/C o ? never used them anywhere but ove a refugium And T-5 soke say 2 yrs now ? I won't bother using them at home here at work ??? been a yr and they still fire up and looks O.K

6. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Thank you Tangster

However I'm sure the actual bulbs last long enough, but the thing is they DO lose luminosity over time. And as a result they lose their "growing" power and the corals that rely on the light for life can't photosynthesize like they used to when the bulbs were new. So the light may look as bright as ever, but it's not having quite the same effect on the corals as it used to.

So that's what I'm asking: How long before halides lose their PAR? Or luminosity? Or whatever the term may be?

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

LOL We use a LI 250A Quantum radiometer to tell me when bulbs are shifting their spectrum.. When you run 100 M/H and 60 or so VHO's its gets expensive to just change them out when one thinks they are shifting or not ? We use this meter on clients tanks also to know when it's time schedule and change bulbs.. And one average its 2 yrs with M/H and about 18 on VHO's. We have several tanks 8 ft deep and whit corals on the bottom you have to know what them 1,000 W are doing :)

I ain't Sanjay ?? but I get by :) Plus I am not selling bulbs as a main product line.

8. Click Here!

9. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

2 years really?? WOW that's cool! I can deal with that for sure ;D

Thanks!

!! SUSHI !! (and bowl)

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have had Iwakies 6500 to go closer to 4 yrs fuguly light but a real tractor of a work horse for commercial growers .. That helps the bottom line :) You get all kinds of Bull about what you need to do but think about it whne the experts writwe their articals ?? What would their sponsoers say to them telling you not to buy a product ?? Then its once read and all the time repeated :) and the repeater never pushwed it to the limit .. Now this being said all bulbs are not equal like a 25.00 flea bay special ain't no Iwakie ! or Aqualine Busk or Ushio .. :)