Jebao wp40 or wp25

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by junior279, Jun 10, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

AZ, when did you order yours? Maybe I'm getting the "improved" version too... just ordered 3 or 4 days ago.

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Mine are part of a group buy here in Phoenix straight from the factory, not Fish Store. The order was placed almost a month ago and we purposly held off shipment until the new version was available.

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I see... does the potentiometer is better quality or does it have the ability of lowering the voltage a lot lower than the current models?

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I am not sure what the new controller provides. There are several lengthy write ups on Reef Central though talking about them.

7. ingtar_shinowa

new controller has 3 speeds (50% 75% !00%, S1, S2, S3) other than that it seems nothing

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Ok, coincidentally my WP-40 arrived this morning. And I, like a kid in a candy store, got down and dirty with it by immediately removing my two power heads and sticking the WP-40 in. As I mentioned before, after reading the reviews that this pump is way too much for a 55 and some people said even for a 75, I had purchased the adjustable power brick, which is nothing more than an universal laptop adapter, it even says on the label.
    Being that Ingtar_shinowa mentioned these adjustable voltage bricks tend to heat up way too much, I decided to put in the original brick without the option to adjust the voltage...

My verdict: The WP-40 is not too much for the 55. I have about 1.5" of sand all along the tank, some parts have a bit more, but that's the average and the sand barely slides back and forth at the very top in 1 or 2 spots. This may be different if you have the very thin, dust like sand.

The W1 short pulse with the dial turned all the way counter clockwise makes too big consecutive waves for my taste, making that wave hit the opposite glass and climb up against the rim of the tank and back in... like a tiny crest... again, that was too much action for my taste. That behaviour got corrected by dialing the pulse to about 3/4 of the way in a clockwise direction.

The W2 and W3 didn't do much for me, although I have to admit I did not mess with the dial in any of these two configurations.

The "Else" setting, gradually increases and decreases the voltage administered to the power head, but it never stopped the propeller like the W1, 2 and 3 settings do.

I'm not really sure why this power head is working so well for me being that so many people stated it is too much power for my size tank... maybe my wall-o-rock is offering some resistance to the wave action... I don't know. I'm currently testing the else setting and so far, I like it the best. Although, I may turn it back on W1 or W2 and play more with the dial, which seems to make a huge difference.

Also, it takes about a minute or 2 for you to really see what each setting is doing after it is changed or tweaked, so if you have one, don't start cycling through the settings like I did first. Try one and let it work for a few minutes to see what it's really going to do, then switch to the next one and wait and so forth.

10. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

By the way, the water level in my aquarium reaches the very bottom of the top rim

11. ingtar_shinowa

Awesome Magus. Did you get t from fishstreet? if so email them and you can get a new controller with 3 speeed built into it it you need it.

12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I did get it from fish-street.... what do u mean by getting the new controller? Will I have to send this one in? Not sure I follow on how that would work, Alex. Care to explain further, please?