JBJ Nano 28 or Bio Cube 29

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by NutsnBolts, Feb 8, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NutsnBolts

NutsnBolts Plankton

I want one of these tanks but this is my first salt water/reef set up and I'm not sure which tank is the best bang for my buck, and will get me off the ground and set me up for success. I would like to keep a budget of about 500 to 600 dollars if possible I want that budget to include the live rock salt sand tank and stand and any additional equipment to get me started like hydrometers and heaters etc. They offer several different versions of these tanks and I'm in need of suggestions and which way to go. the other question I have is I have access to RO water will that work or do I have to use RO/DI water?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You can use just RO.

I have had both tanks. Personally I am leaning towards the BioCube because modifications are easier, more skimmer options for the back and you can make it a rimless tank if you like that look.

Welcome to 3reef. :)

4. NutsnBolts

NutsnBolts Plankton

Thanks for the help I thought the same thing but wasn't sure the bio cube seems to be much more readily available. Do you think that's a obtainable budget?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Petco has the tank for 300.00. You'll have to build or purchase a stand.

You'll need test kits, another powerhead.

Honestly this is an expensive hobby.

You might want to think about getting a 40 gallon breeder when petco has it's dollar per gallon sale. Look at craigs list or local reef clubs for lighting and other equipment.