JBJ ato is a PO Junk!!!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Jm'sRSM, Mar 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jm'sRSM

Jm'sRSM Fire Shrimp

i got a jbj ato for a xmas present and a week b4 im due to go on vacation the thing craps out! someones making some serious money on this po junk $100? it aint worht $10!!!! im going to use the last float switch and cut it inline with my aqualifter and chuck the rest in the trash...DO NOT WASTE $$$ ON THIS OVER PRICED PO junk!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

Have you contacted JBJ about it?

I have a JBJ ATO and it's worked flawlessly for 3+ years.

EDIT: And at $100, it's the cheapest ATO on the market that has all the fail-safes built in.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Mine works great as well...2+ years f no problems. The first unit I bought, (for $80) died within a week. JBJ replaced it no questions asked, and even paid S&H both ways! I clean my switches every 3 months. I also have it setup where snails getting inbetween the float is impossible. Mine is setup through my controller so if the JBJ does fail, in either the on or off positions, I am alerted and disaster is averted.

5. rocketmandb

How did you do that?

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Thread title changed. Please mind the user agreement.

7. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I do the same thing with a controller. Having the controller monitor it was probably one of the best upgrades.

If you don't have a controller, just be sure to not make your reservior so big that if it gets stuck on for too long it'll overflow your tank.

To do it you just add another float connected to your controller that is above the line of the JBJ. If it's triggered, then you know the JBJ is stuck on, so you turn off the outlet for the JBJ.

8. Click Here!

9. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

My JBJ will only run for a very short amount of time before shutting the pump off which I really like because I don't have a great deal of evaporation and my salinity stays very stable. I like mine, no issues! And their heaters are second to none!

10. rocketmandb

Ahh, that makes sense. I've got my JBJ's internal timer set low enough that it wouldn't be an issue for me, though I suppose having a second backup is a good idea. I need to buy a bunch of float switches regardless and I've got room on my breakout box so I'll probably do this..

11. mails2thiagu

mails2thiagu Feather Duster

I don't know about JBJ but I have Tsunami AT1 ATO which works perfectly and its 70$ only. Unlike other ATOs, tsunami doesn't use any float switch but a sensor hence no worries about snails or getting clogged. Only problem being, it fills up to 1 inch of water may be sensor designed in such way.

12. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I just bought the JBJ ATO 3 weeks ago brand new off of Amazon for $79.00 and I'm loving it!