JBJ 28 gallon owners thread.

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Corailline, Feb 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Well I felt the same way, my stand has been sturdy for 5 years, knock on particle board. I am not a fan of the stand but I can not complain about it either.

2. Click Here!

3. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

maybe ill change my mind once i assemble it... how do you run your filtration coraline? i would like to keep the chaeto i have and pick up a small light to keep that going.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I used to run a Tunze doc 9002 in the middle and Chaeto in a hob fuge. Carbon on top and purigen under in one of the side chambers. Now I just run carbon and foam in the middle. I sold everything else about 3 years ago, I was going to sell the tank and did not, sold all the equipment though.

5. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

I set the tank up and everything is good, except that one of the pumps is very noisy. Also, has anyone had a problem with the pumps possibly giving off a lot of heat? I haven't been able to get my temp below 82... Only thing I can think of is the pumps

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

My pumps sound the same, so I would say you should investigate further (pull it out, clean it all off, run it in clean water, etc). During the summer, I use a fan over the sump area to keep it cool. In the winter, it stays around 77° (where I like to keep it). I did a DIY LED kit on it, so I imagine heat from the lighting is about the same as yours.

7. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

In my AquaMedic blenny, i bought an additional Hydor Koralia Nano 900 pump, since i didnt really like the flow, and wanted some more to blast the tank (Gotta love flow). The rest in my tank works well, i run carbon, a skimmer that is a little to big for my tank, just to give a little extra filtration and got LEDS. Really simple setup, but it works well :) For nanos i reccommend LEDS, it just look better imo. Really like LEDs! Hope you get this tank up and running succesfully, would love to see your nano :) Good luck!

8. Click Here!

9. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

[​IMG] quick shot, water still cloudy from rearranging some rocks and the corals aren't looking so great and I need to clean the inside of the glass but well see what happens. So far I'm loving this tank.

10. Deanfe

Deanfe Plankton

My water temp was staying around 82, but I have the CF Quad hood, I did end up adding a chiller though. I am in Central Texas and I figured the chiller would cost me less then turning the air conditioning down.

11. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Few new additions..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Flying Turkey

Flying Turkey Astrea Snail

Hi everyone!

I'm very new to the hobby and I am looking to start up my first reef tank with 3-4 fish and I thought the JBJ 28g Cube would be a good start.

I've got a few questions as you might imagine. First off with the tank itself. I see some conflicting info on Marinedepot.com

In this link it looks like I can get a MT-601-LED (89 watt advanced lighting) for $649 with stand: JBJ 28 Gallon Nano Cube w/ FREE MTS-60 Stand

In this link from Marinedepot.com the same tank minus the stand is $749:JBJ 28 Gallon Nano Cube Aquariums

Am I missing something here?

Also, I see there is an Intermediate 27 watt LED version MT-603-LED. I want to grow corals, so is the 27W version sufficient?

I was thinking of getting live rock and sand from here: Premium Decorative Live Rock which comes with thick coralline algae on it and a mixed variety of plants, animals, hard and soft corals, sponges.

I'm going to have a bunch more questions! What do you guys think?