JBJ 28 gallon owners thread.

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Corailline, Feb 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Deanfe

Deanfe Plankton

I just got a chiller and install kit from JBJ for my 28 CF Quad, any recommendations on how to plumb this, I may just be overthinking this, but I am just wondering where to put my supply pump and inlets and outlets.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi and Welcome to 3reef.

I put the pump to the chiller in the right most chamber as you face the tank, it was not the easiest fit. The intake and output lines also hung in that corner. My chiller came with plastic u tubes making it easy to accomplish. Not the best set up but unless you have drilled the tank and plumbed it to a sump there is really no other alternative that I know of.

4. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

5. Deanfe

Deanfe Plankton

Thanks Corailline, I was just probably overthinking where to put the tubes, I did also get the kit with the u tubes, so do you have the inlet and outlet in the same chamber? I was thinking of putting the pump as you did in one side, and the outlet in the opposite side.

6. Corailline

You could definitely do that with no problem. I had a CPR large fuge hang on the back with a Tunze doc 9002 skimmer in it. Very little room left so I probably just stuck them in the same chamber.

Let me know how you like the LED version. Is the tank wet yet? Curious to see what the temp is under the LED without a chiller.

7. Deanfe

Deanfe Plankton

I did get the chiller up and running, it seems to stay on longer then I figure it would about 15 minutes, I do think the pump they sent with is a bit small and ordered an MJ 1200 to use with it instead.

I also currently have the CF Quad not the LED.

I also seem to have quite of sand/solids floating in the water, I wonder if it is from the small substrate I have, Carib Sea Fiji Pink?

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Stick some mechanical filtration, sponge or flow right under the overflow.

You can keep a lot of stuff in the CF version, do not let people tell the lighting is not adequate. Your tank will the one that does not melt all the mushrooms, zoanthids or lps.

10. Deanfe

Deanfe Plankton

I do have the blue and white filter floss in the top chamber of an upgraded intake basket.

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

+1 to what Cheryl said. The CF Quad lighting is very good for all softies, LPS, and even lower light SPS.

12. Deanfe

Deanfe Plankton

Here is a pic of my setup currently. 2 clowns coming of the QT tank tomorrow.

Attached Files: