JBJ 28 gallon owners thread.

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Corailline, Feb 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. seneca joe

seneca joe Plankton

Thanks for starting this thread. I have a 28 LED which has been running for 3 weeks. Plan to have a few fish and corals. Now have a Chromis, a Small Clown, and a Purple Firefish. Also have the cleaner crew working hard. Have had no trouble so far.

2. Click Here!

3. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

I believe the CF Quad is 105W not 150W. Anyways, I have the 28G with the CF quad hood. Been running for about 4 months now. I run a Koralia nano powerhead for extra flow and a Tunze 9002 skimmer with the inTank collection cup. IMO the stock media basket was useless so thats why I broke down and bought the skimmer. As of right now I have a frogspawn, an acan, Zoas, and Anthelia. Tried to move the frogspawn out in the open but he didnt like it so hes back in the shade and fully extended. For fish all I have right now is a two spot hogfish, Im waiting for my LFS to get a pair of black and white clowns in and that will be it as far as stocking. I got my cleaning crew from john at reefcleaners. I ordered about 30 dwarf ceriths and john sent me 330. Yeah you read that right, three hundred and thirty snails, lol, so I put most in my 65G.
    So far I really like this tank, before it was a saltwater It made a great planted tank, but instead of the hood I used the jbj viper HQI 70W pendent with a 6000k bulb for my plants.

Heres the tank when I first added rocks, Ill have to get a newer pic w/ coral in it when the lights come back on tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

And below is the tank when it was freshwater.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. TheSurgeonSween

TheSurgeonSween Fire Shrimp

Whats the best way to connect a sump to this tank? planning on either a 7 or 10 gallon

5. TheSurgeonSween

TheSurgeonSween Fire Shrimp

Do I need another overflow?

6. allenmay8

allenmay8 Fire Worm

Tank looks great! Can't wait to see what the Quad is capable of!

I was thinking about getting the Tunze skimmer, but I heard you had to make modifications in order for it to fit properly. I'm not much of a handyman so I went the easy route.

7. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Thanks. The mod was nothing a small hack-saw cant handle. But I think you will be very pleased with the remora skimmer. The thing I like about the remora is that you can place it in one of the outside chambers and still run a media basket, but If you put the pump in an outside chamber, it would work best with an ATO so the water level stays constant for consistent skimming.

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Check the impeller for Calcium deposits. If there is, put the cover back on the powerhead and run it in a bucket with white vinegar for a couple of hours until the Calcium is dissolved.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Thank you for taking a look. Looking forward to seeing your tank, and review on how you think the LEDs work. ;D

Mistake corrected Blue Falcon. ;D

You tank looked really nice as a fresh. I have thought about using the Viper fixture a couple times. My clowns are jumpers so it was a no go.

Hopefully someone can address how to modify this tank to run a sump. I just do not see the tank with a sump very often. I ran a HOB 6 gallon CPR fuge, that is were I placed the Tunze skimmer. Evaporation was killer so I got rid of the sump.

11. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

That viper gets HOT!!!!!!!. Will scald you just brushing up against it. And it your clowns splash water on the glass bulb cover it will shatter on impact. And the evaporation was ridiculous. Thats one of the reasons I tore it down and made it a SW with the stock hood. I moved my planted aquarium into a 33G rimless Mr. Aqua with 4 T-5's and CO2 injection.

Heres the new planted tank a few months ago when I first planted.
    [​IMG]

And about a month ago....
    [​IMG]

The hair grass was growing out of control and invading my foreground, so I tore it up, sadly the roots were mangled in with the HC in the foreground and most of that came up too. Im in the process of redoing the aquascape again, just waiting on some Ludwigia Peruensis and more rocks, and now the hair grass is replaced with Staurogyne repens. Heres a recent pic.
    [​IMG]
    And heres what I plan on it looking like with a very QUICK sketch up in photoshop.
    [​IMG]

ANYWAYS back to the JBJ. :)
    PLEASE forgive me for the terrible quality pics (All the pics are a little washed out. The tank has much more color in person). I didnt bother to play around with my DSLR because I cant get good pics until it gets dark outside. (too much glare).

FTS
    [​IMG]

Acan
    [​IMG]

Zoas
    [​IMG]

Frogspawn (he wont fully open till later in the afternoon. picky bastard)
    [​IMG]

Anthelia fraged from my mother cololy in my 65G
    [​IMG]

And A pic of some crazy unidentified snot like Algae that I have been battling with and my snails wont touch it :-/
    [​IMG]

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Blue Falcon

I will look for the name of that growth, again my memory fails me, and yup no one will eat it, it has to run it's course. Nice additions to the tank. Absolutely stunning planted FW tanks.

On the back wall of the 28 gal what power head is that, you posted koralia nano?

Guess I will throw a picture up of mine, perhaps others will do the same HINT!!!!!!! ;D