JBJ 12G Nano Cube

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 18, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Alright I have been staring at that pic. I am willing to wager on this now.

Have the front of the tank filled to the top.
    Lower the water line in the filtration area to just below the bio-balls.

Turn on the pump.

If you don't have a wet/dry then I will be amazed.

2. Click Here!

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Matt, thanks for you time on this. So you are saying you have seen 12 gal Nano Cubes where the water overflows the bioballs and drips through them rather the bioballs being submersed. As I said before I'm getting no oxygen/air water mix...all media is submersed.

I cannot get a straight answer from jbj support #..they keep insisting this is normal? I think they are like "just get this guy off the phone" That's the feeling I get. I just want to make sure it's working correctly.

Thanks again, Greg Lewis

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

No prob Greg.
    No I am not saying I have seen these particular nanos doing the wet/dry thing, other models - Tru Vu - I think and some others.

The JBJ Nano I saw at the store had black paper on the back to keep light out so the bacteria would prosper so I didn't get to see the filter in action.

I stand by my last post, I say try that. To amend, you might want to have the water line a little higher, maybe touching the balls at the bottom, because when you turn the pump on, it will go down a bit.

It's worth a try in my opinion, it sounds like somebody didn't know what they were talking about. And JBJ if you are listening - make the instructions more detailed will you?!? :eek: ::)

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I truly appreciate you taking time to respond...I'll give it a try. I agree,... the directions on setting up, you have to go on pictures from the box. Thanks, Greg

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey that's what this place is about Greg! ;D
    Keep us posted.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Just bought some heavy (good) black electrical tape to match black trim of my 12g nano cube. Placed tape and trimmed carefully under top trim and around sides. I lowered water level so top intake is now a surface skimmer. Tank looks great...Water level still hidden & no surface slime anymore + tape macthes perfect if done right. Also increases surface agitation a little more. Hope this helps anyone wanting to convert 12g nano cube to have surface skimming. Greg

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[move][glow=red, 2, 300]ELECTRICAL TAPE!! YIKES!![/glow][/move]

DUDE! You need to think this through! Electrical tape, nevermind what it's made of - we won't go there, but think about the adhesive glue! :eek:

I don't think 3M has made an aquarium safe tape, you know what I mean?

I did something similar with my plant tank and it was a disaster! I tried making the inside of my hood a reflector by lining it with reflective tape. I didn't think enough about it and after a few days the moisture was causing the adhesive to liquify and drip in the tank. I didn't notice right away and after a week, my plants turned pale and my fish got sick! [smiley=sick.gif] [smiley=sick2.gif]

I removed it all and cleaned the hood off and did a couple water changes, it took a month before everything recovered.

I say take that tape off and wipe it well, then do a water change.

If you want to try it again, use aquarium safe silicone and a pliable piece of plastic to achieve the same affect.

What happened to the wet/dry by the way? [smiley=stars.gif]

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I placed the tape on the outside of the tank on the glass. It's just there to cover the water line since it lower now. The tape leaves no residue and it's waterproof plastic based. Used in the past, and it has no contact with water. I'll send a pic once things get growing. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my tanks,...the tape blends perfect if you do it right.

As for the wet/dry..it appears the 12g nano cube is wet only. The sump does stay level all the way across. Confirmed by two people at JBJ.

The lowering of the water made all the difference by now skimming the surface of the water.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Whoa I misread your post then Greg - SORRY! :-[ ::)
    That's a different story. Pretty neat fix actually.

Odd about the filter ... I suppose it won't generate as much nitrates that way though.

Hey I think it's mandatory if you post this much on 3reef, you have to register and become a member! ;) ;D

Had you done so already you would be close to the 20 post qualification for our giveaway that should be happening soon. Think about it! ;D [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif] [smiley=yaknow.gif]

12. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

hi Matt. Yeah does look cool.