Jason's 75g Build

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jstegall, Feb 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

I added my first fish tonight. A firefish goby, and a clown. I know I should be adding one at a time, but the clown is really small. So far they have been pretty much on separate sides of the tank. The firefish hid for about 5 minutes after I added him, but has since been out eating the little pods that have been growing in my tank like crazy. The clown fish is just kind of doing his thing, my kids love the way he swims.

Bad news, I found two aiptasia, damnit. They're on the back of the live rock I added to seed the tank. They're not in an accessible location, I'm thinking about trying a peppermint shrimp to see if it will get them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

Congrats on the first fish! Nice looking fire fish. It will get nice and fat on pods if you have a lot of them.

Bummer on the aiptasia. Kalk paste through a piece of airline tubing with a syringe may also be an option (if you can direct it where you need it).

Good luck!

4. JBert

JBert Plankton

Great read so far and great tank! I'm actually slowly piecing together everything to do the same build as you once we move.

Do you have the specs of your bean-animal set up? Measurements for holes and overflow size? After seeing yours, I'm contemplating trying to design mine slightly smaller so it's not as visible!

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Congrats on the new additions.

I have always really enjoyed my firefish.

6. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

When I had the glass shop cut the glass for me I ordered the following, it's 1/4" thick, for a finished 5x5x36 box
    Qty 2- 36x5
    Qty 2- 5x4.75

If I had it to do over again I'd probably go with 36x4x3, the same length, but a little shorter, and not quite as deep. In a larger tank, the 5x5 probably wouldn't seem to take up quite as much room. If you want measurements on the actual overflow hole measurements I can measure that tomorrow. I used 1" bulkheads, and 2x 3/4" returns.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Congrats on the new adds.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Happy to hear about your fish adds! Glad you've gotten to that point and been so patient along the way! Welcome to the obsession :)

10. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

My youngest, she's 7yo, named the firefish this morning. I was a little nervous when she told me she had one picked. I like it, and think it fits perfectly.

Twitch

Had to tell her we weren't naming the clown Nemo. They're still trying to think of a name for him.

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

How cute is that??!! No Nemo?? why dad?

12. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

It's been about a week since I've updated this thread. The last two weeks I've traveled a lot for work, and I have left the care of the tank mostly to my wife while I've been gone.

Before I left this last Wednesday, I thought that our clown fish was a goner, he had ich. He would barely eat, he was breathing heavy, just generally looked weak. I was soaking his food in garlic to entice feeding, but at most would only eat 1 1mm pellet.

When I returned Friday evening, nobody was home, the wife had gone out of town Thursday morning. First place I looked was the tank, no clownfish to be seen anywhere, I started to look behind the rocks, etc. I finally spotted him in the sump, he had gone over the overflow and down the drain. Not only that, but the little bugger went from the first and largest section, into the second and smallest section where the water moves the fastest. Poor guy.

Since Friday evening he has been an active healthy guy. No spots, eating very well, I think he's going to be fine.

Twitch, the firefish is still eating as many pods as he can get, at least the tank still seems to be full of them. He's getting enough of them that he will only eat 1-2 pellets a day.