Jason's 75g Build

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jstegall, Feb 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

I guess I probably wouldn't have to take out any sand, just move it to the side. I was just thinking about setting the rock directly on the glass instead of on top of the sand. I will post another pic or two in just a bit when I get home, it was pretty much all cleared up when I stopped by on my lunch break.

Last night was a pretty big accomplishment for me, this project has been in the works for a while. The wife is also happy that the tank can just run for a bit without the checkbook getting dinged. I picked the tank and stand up back in June 2012, but didn't start the rest of the purchases until January.

2. Click Here!

3. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

More pictures. Still trying to decide on more rock.

Attached Files:

4. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

Now that the tank is officially cycling, I'm starting to put more thought into the potential stocking list. Here's a list of fish we're thinking about. Any thoughts on the fish, order of introduction, etc. Keep in mind, this is just a starting place, nothing is set in stone.

Ocellaris Clown Fish
    Bristletooth Tomini Tang
    Blue Reef Chromis- qty 3
    One Spot Foxface
    Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel

I like a few of the different goby's, etc., but I don't have a glass cover on the tank and don't want to add one. I keep finding fish I like, and then reading they're jumpers.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I would recommend covering the tank either way. Do a search and you will see how many clowns have jumped, even after being in the tank for a couple years.

6. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

Maybe I will look into one of the screen kits from BRS. Something like that wouldn't be too bad to keep on there. I just don't want it to be completely covered by glass, or lose a lot of light with the egg crate.

7. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

I just ran my water tests again, here are my results

Ammonia 0
    Nitrite .5
    Nitrate 50-100, it's between the two colors, but seems to be closer to 50
    SG 1.025

I'm starting to think that having the live rock in the tank for a couple weeks before the live sand and dry rock may have given me a pretty good jump start on my cycle. The nitrites were a lot higher when I tested them Friday evening.

8. Click Here!

9. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

I have another post started with my water testing information, but kind of wanted it here just to have the info when I read through this thread down the road.

3/3/13- Added table shrimp, removed 3/5/13.

3/7/13
    Ammonia- 0
    Nitrites- .25
    Nitrates- Between 50-100

Cycles getting there. Patience, patience, patience.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  10. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

Doing great!

Don't be surprised if you get stuck here. I was at 0.5 nitrites for at least a week (would have to look back. It may have been more.). Then, it just popped and they were gone. Hopefully, yours will be faster.

BTW, I like the dual island look. :)

11. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

I'm still working on a stocking list, so even if the nitrites stick around for a bit I will be able to manage. :) I've even been contemplating throwing another shrimp in to help push the cycle a little further, hopefully get a little more established before I add anything.

My wife agrees with you on the double island look, and I do too, but in the back of my mind I kept thinking I wanted more rock. I had purchased 100lbs, but had probably only put in about 60 or so. I ended up adding more, and I'm happy with it, but the she liked it better the other way. I will post some updated pictures this evening after I make it home.

12. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

Here's the pic that I promised Friday. It was a long week at work, happy hour turned into midnight, helped a friend move Saturday, and then a hockey game yesterday so I'm a little late. Also, I reread the instructions for my Salifert tests and apparently I've been reading at least the nitrate and nitrite tests wrong. I've been reading them from the side instead of the top. It looks like my nitrates are only at a 2 instead of 50-100, my nitrites are still at .1

Attached Files: