Jason's 75g Build

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jstegall, Feb 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

Thanks guys! I'm really excited about this, I started thinking about building this tank about 5 or so years ago. Just didn't want to take the first step and start until I was in my own house, been here almost two years now. I hated the thought of renting and having to move an aquarium.

I know everything with this stuff has to be run on patience, but I hate the thought that my sand will be here tomorrow and I have to wait until the weekend to do my rockwork and get it put in. I am thinking that I probably won't have one of the longer cycles after it's all in the tank. My chunk of live rock has been in there almost two weeks by itself.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Looking great so far. Good Job.

4. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

My sand came in this morning ;D, now just waiting on the rock. One of the bags has a pinhole in it and has leaked a little bit of water, but I imagine it will be ok, it's not dry and should be in the tank sometime within the next 48-72 hours or so.

5. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

My dry rock was delivered just about an hour ago. I know what I will be doing tonight. I will post pictures soon. Now just waiting on 5pm to get here....

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Good for you!! Make sure to post pics!

7. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

I spent about 4 hours tonight putting rock on the tank, and I think I've got a pretty good start. There's quite a few places for fish and other little critters to swim through the rock, and even managed to get a decent little cave on in the stack on the right hand side. I went ahead and added the sand, and it's clearing up really nicely. The pictures were taken about an hour after the sand was put in.

The bad news, when I pulled my lonely piece of live rock out, the bivalve (not exactly sure what kind) had died. I got it removed and cleaned up the rock a little, it had quite a bit of dead halimeda that didn't make it even before I picked it up from the LFS.

All in all, pretty happy for the night, although I do think I will be pulling some sand back out tomorrow and adding some more rock, I still have a 5 gallon bucket full out of the 100lbs I ordered, and now that the tank is clearing up I think it could use some more. What do you guys/gals think?

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

I'm no expert, but I think your display is looking sweet, 2 nice islands with hiding holes and loads of swimming space ! Looking great !

10. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

awesome bean animal Jason

11. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

I like the look of it, but I'm questioning if I have enough rock for the biological filtration, and coral placement.

I was really nervous about drilling the holes for it, and how it would turn out. The hardest part ended up being the glass overflow box that had to be built.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I think it looks great! Just curious why you're thinking of taking out some sand? It looks like a nice amount to me. I would add some more rock but I really like rock so....what you have in there is probably enough for biological filtration if you like the look as is....just my .02