Jason's 370G Tank

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Jason McKenzie, Mar 31, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. map95003

map95003 Bubble Tip Anemone

Nice, I like the tangs...especialy the one with the orange patch, what kind of tang is that?...do you have a few FTSs ?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Is that a black tang I see...in a tank with a carpet anemone? If it is, you're a brave brave man Mr. McKenzie :lol:

Glad to see that you're getting back into keeping sps corals. I knew it was only a matter of time before you got sucked back in :D

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Nope that's an Adult Cheveron Tang under poor lighting.

J

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Huge sigh of relief :lol:

6. Jason McKenzie

well this is my 5000 post on 3reef. Sorry to everyone for not being around a lot as of late.

Here is a quick little update on what is going on with the 370G tank

Once again the eurobrace, this time the front, suddenly cracked, dead centre a large v shaped crack. So I talked to the manufacture and they suggested I laminate a replacement 1/2 piece of glass over the crack. So I lowered the water level (about 250G) then cut the black moulding and the excess silicone. I then siliconed the new glass in place. 3 day of the new glass clamped to the cracked eurobrace and then I began to refill the tank. Took me about 1 1/2 days to fill as I mixed new water for the entire refill. To make a long store shorter, the next morning the new patch glass had a crack in the exact same spot as the eurobracing.

So I no longer trust the tank and will be taking it down.

I have a 120G tank on order and that will be to hold the fish and coral I can't live without.

I'm going to reno the basement a bit and then order a new 300G tank.

So more to come and maybe another build thread

Jason

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

congrats on the 5000

sad update Jason

but on the positive side a 120 and a 300 is a positive way to get over the obvious frustrations your experiencing with the Euro brace

cherry picking the corals and fish you want to keep, will also make the 120 a source of great enjoyment whilst awaiting the new monster reef set up.

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Thanks Steve. this week end I start to build my stand for the 120

J

10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

a new build thread, would be good then?

Steve

11. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Jason, I don't know if you have access to the floorboards/rafters in your basement, but it's pretty common to fix those by lamination too. If they're 2x8's, try to locate a crack, or just check the boards under the tank for level. Rent or buy a jack (can be the pump type, or the threaded type you turn) get a 4x4 to nearly span the vertical space--and use that 4x4 to jack up the floor until the affected beam/s are level. Then use some more 2x8s to sandwich the offending board, and glue it and screw it onto both sides. After a few days, you can remove the jack stand. That'll do it.

I remember originally I thought it was the floor. By the nature of your issue, I'm pretty sure that's the issue.

Good luck.

12. Jason McKenzie

Thanks for the Info. Well my "basement" is on a concrete slab and the tank site directly on the slab. But I have a similar thought. we had a 100' tree taken down right next to the house a couple of years ago. I'm wondering if as the roots wroughted away if that could have caused a similar issue as a floor joice giving way

J