Jasonanatal's 120 gallon "Custom Built by Myself" Reef Aquarium.

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Jasonanatal, May 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jasonanatal

Jasonanatal Flamingo Tongue

Reply to Goodwin9.

Goodwin9, not at all. I'm concerned with finding the correct silicone for bonding to glass because I'm concerned with the aquarium splitting the bonds and leaks forming from not using the correct silicone.

2. Click Here!

3. goodwin9

goodwin9 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Did you have problems with the silicone that you used on your 60 gallon starfire tank you built last year?

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  4. Jasonanatal

Reply to Goodwin9.

Goodwin9, that project never actually got off the ground so I couldn't tell you.

5. doog

doog Peppermint Shrimp

starfire requires special silicone? if that's true, i think it's a teaching point for many here - let us know what you find out. btw, cool pics from google sketchup - i can't imagine putting a tank in my bedroom - i'd never be able to sleep!

6. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

Im with Packleader on this one......I would enjoy the ambient sounds in my room at night..............before I met my wife, I slept with the TV on every night just for that reason. What sucks, is that my wife is the EXACT opposite, and put an end to that real quick! : )

7. Jasonanatal

Reply to Doog.

Doog, I definitely will let everyone know what I find regarding the Silicone for the Starfire Glass. Thank you for the compliments on the Google Sketchup artwork. I actually can't wait to have the aquarium running in my bedroom so I can fall asleep to the shimmer of the moonlight.

8. Click Here!

9. Jasonanatal

Reply to Cement_skis.

Cement_skis, that is funny. My wife gets up all the time to constantly go to the bathroom so I don't think the aquarium should bother her at all. LOL

1 person likes this.
  10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

FWIW, while I have never made my own tank before, I do know guys that have. The folks that have used starphire glass have used the same silicon sealant that they used for non starphire tanks.

I would also recommend glass over acrylic for the scratching reasons.

If the deal on my 180 I have worked out does not pan out in another 8 weeks or so, I will be making my own plywood tank for the basement behind the bar, with a glass front, probably 5-6 feet long and the magical 30" deep, and probably 22-24 inches tall.